Increase font size
Topic Title: Power Factor Correction - BSc Research
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 October 2017 08:29 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 October 2017 08:29 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

SimonB89

Hi Guys,

Just dropping a welcome, I've been a member of the IET for a couple of years and flicked back and forth on the forum a few times whilst looking for answers to some questions.

My main reason for introduction is I'm studying a BSc in Building Services and have chosen to study PFC for a training centre and I'm hoping to get some knowledge from some of you on here who have some real experience in that area.

Thanks
Simon

Edited: 06 November 2017 at 03:28 PM by SimonB89
 27 October 2017 12:56 PM

mapj1

welcome, you are now in the main forum - please feel free to ask your questions , either by starting a new thread, or by editing the title of this first post in this one.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 06 November 2017 03:36 PM

SimonB89

Hi Guys,

As above, I'm currently studying a BSc in Building Services and for one of my assignments I have to do a research and a design for a building. The building has been described as one that provides training and employment opportunities for workers with disabilities and diverse needs.

With the point being that it's a training facility there will be PC/laptops etc, so I've gone down the PFC route as I don't know a lot about them.

I've found quite a lot of information on PFC and what causes a poor PFC etc, it's more the design side I'm not too sure about and was hoping for some guidance if possible?

Thanks
Simon
 06 November 2017 03:49 PM

mapj1

It is not very clear what exactly is or are your question (s)?

Without a real example to play with it is hard to answer.
Apart from a few bland platitudes like 'check the neutral is man enough', 'consider dividing the load into a larger number of lighter loaded circuits', ' watch the phase imbalance' etc. which I hope you have encountered already.

How big is the building, the 'ampacity' of the supply, what are you assuming about circuit watts per square meter, diversity, PSSC, earthing type and so on.? Where is the substation, what is its winding configuration and how fully loaded is it...
These are the first questions to ask, and the answers will in turn inform how much or little you need to do next.

M

regards Mike

Edited: 06 November 2017 at 04:36 PM by mapj1
 06 November 2017 03:56 PM

Delbot321

Hi Simon
I've not done a BSC so not familiar with the criteria of what they expect you to investigate but I would suggest you may want to broaden your investigations from just PFC to supply power quality and the effect of switch mode power supplies, or SMPS, on it. (virtually everything that's electronic now has a SMPS from PC/laptop/LED lights/BMS/motor controllers). This is all still relevant as SMPS can/will cause harmonics on the supply which then require additional filters on the PFC equipment in order that the harmonics don't shorten the PFC life. If you're looking to explain all of this you will need to be good at maths, formulas and wave forms.

You may need to reconsider your subject matter completely as I can't see how PFC will relate with any significance to ".....with disabilities and diverse needs". The systems sit in the back ground doing their job irrespective of the type of users. The type of equipment they use in the building will, in principle, be much the same.

If I've misunderstood your theme or quest please feel free to correct me, but I hope this helps.
 06 November 2017 04:43 PM

mapj1

- if disabilities are significant, and still with only the electrical hat on, there may be a need for extra kit, thinking anything from a wheelchair lifts and automatic doors, different alarm arrangements, maybe special fire escape plans, down to more modest stuff like special lighting, notices and displays, or even just low level tea making facilities and long lever taps in the loo.
Somewhere along that scale between an ordinary building with a few mods, moving along to build to special purpose care facility.

regards Mike
 06 November 2017 05:01 PM

Legh

I would say that a building full of disabled persons will require a electrical supply and management system that has sufficient reliable back-up.

Legh

http://www.leghrichardson.co.uk

de-avatared
 06 November 2017 05:13 PM

OMS

Is it the design of the PFC you are asking about - or the whole building design you are asking about ?

So either a fairly detailed assignment on PFC in the particular building type or a fairly broad brush design assignment on a building fit for the occupant demands and the client brief

If for the PFC only then:

Legislation - do I have to do this ?

Standards and Regulations - if I do it then what 2nd Tier requirements do I have - Part L as an example, DNO requirements - how far do I need to go - to 0.99 lag, to 0.95 lag - from what to what

What equipment is available - capacitors, over exited synchronous motor, AC Phase advances - local or central

What would be the advantages and disadvantages of each type

What would be the preferred selection for this particular building - is there a big vent fan you can overexcite, do you need single or multi stage capacitors, do you need to de tune due to harmonic filters - is there a generator and will you keep PFC in place when operating on generator (pushing KVA, receiving KVAr arguments)

What is the economic case - how will it pay back - over what timeframe

Conclusions

Recommendations

Level of detail depending on how many points this assignment is worth

If it's for the whole facility, start with the Equality act and work from there

Regards

OMS

Let the wind blow you, across a big floor.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.