Increase font size
Topic Title: Division of equipotential zones
Topic Summary: House being divided
Created On: 24 October 2017 08:17 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 October 2017 08:17 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mikejumper

A large house in a rural location is being divided to create two dwellings. One will retain the existing electrical supply and the other will have a new supply. Both supplies come in overhead from the same pole approx 30 metres away, the existing supply is PME.

The water supply is not being split and will serve both dwellings from the existing location with a new stopcock being fitted at the point of entry to the second dwelling.

My thought is to get the plumber to fit a short section of plastic pipe to the water supply as it passes between dwellings and then bond the copper pipe after the stopcock as usual.

What does the panel think?
 24 October 2017 08:38 PM

geoffsd

Originally posted by: mikejumper

My thought is to get the plumber to fit a short section of plastic pipe to the water supply as it passes between dwellings and then bond the copper pipe after the stopcock as usual.

I shall leave others to comment on whether that needs doing, but

if you do fit a plastic feed between the two then the pipe after the plastic won't require bonding as it won't be an extraneous-conductive-part.
The pipe will likely be earthed by appliance CPCs so it doesn't really matter.
You could fit more plastic sections to isolate all the pipework.

Also, the stopcock is irrelevant; the bonding connection should be made as near as practicable to the point of entry.
 24 October 2017 08:47 PM

geoffsd

Just thought -

How will separate metering be achieved?
Will the new property have a new underground supply?
 24 October 2017 09:11 PM

mapj1

Well, in this case they are the same supply in all but name, so we are not expecting large voltage offsets. A plastic section will do no great harm, or you could just bond both METS to the plumbing in accordance with normal PME bonding rules, and it would be no worse than than two halves of many semi-detached houses where the water comes up the centre of the two front lawns.
I'd probably not be bothering the plumber unless he was already there for some other purpose.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 24 October 2017 09:45 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: geoffsd

Just thought -

How will separate metering be achieved?

Will the new property have a new underground supply?

It's will be an entirely separate supply to the second dwelling, service head, meter etc..
 24 October 2017 09:56 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: mapj1
I'd probably not be bothering the plumber unless he was already there for some other purpose.

He will be, for lots of other stuff.
I'd rather not have a break in copper for a short section of plastic unless it's going to achieve something, particularly as it's at mains pressure.
 25 October 2017 07:59 AM

alancapon

. . . The water supply is not being split and will serve both dwellings from the existing location with a new stopcock being fitted at the point of entry to the second dwelling. . .

How do the two properties choose to have their water metered, if that is how they decide they will pay for it? My understanding is the correct method is to serve each property from its own valve in the footpath - you may want to check the Water Regulations for what is required.

Regards,

Alan.
 25 October 2017 09:20 AM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: alancapon

. . . The water supply is not being split and will serve both dwellings from the existing location with a new stopcock being fitted at the point of entry to the second dwelling. . .

How do the two properties choose to have their water metered,

Regards,

Alan.

As neither of the properties are being sold I guess the owner will continue to pay as if it was one dwelling. The larger half is to be let, the smaller half is to accommodate occasional visiting family.

Good point though. Local planning authority are involved so may have something to say on that.
 25 October 2017 01:29 PM

ectophile

I can imagine the local water company won't be impressed if they discover that there are two properties running off the same supply, and paying only one bill. Especially if it's an un-metered supply.

S P Barker BSc PhD IEng MIET
 25 October 2017 01:57 PM

rocknroll

Alan does have a good point the Act requires that where one property is divided into two individual units for commercial reasons i.e. letting, they should not export services, water, gas and electricity the purpose of this is 'security of tenure' this is to stop people interfering with others for financial or other sinister reasons.

This should be outlined in planning, there are some exceptions to this, for example family reasons where there is an interconnecting door or accommodation where a service charge is included in the rent/hire generally holiday accommodation.

Regards.

"Take nothing but a picture,
leave nothing but footprints!"
"Oh! The drama of it all."
"You can throw all the philosophy you like at the problem, but at the end of the day it's just basic electrical theory!"
 10 November 2017 02:10 PM

mikejumper

An update on this for your interest.

Meter installer advised me today that where a copper pipe water supply runs through two properties they can only connect up if both systems are TN-C-S, or one is TN-C-S the other TT.

Where one supply is TN-C-S but the other TN-S then a break in the copper is required which can be achieved via plastic pipe of sufficient length that it's unlikely to be bridged; around a couple of metres.

In this particular situation both supplies are TN-C-S (they actually come off the same overhead pole) so no problem in that regard.

Mike
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.