Increase font size
Topic Title: Labelling machine?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 October 2017 12:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 October 2017 12:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

TimJWatts

Hi,

Wonder if anyone could recommend one or two please:

1) Is for me - home. Labelling heating controls, CU, and conductors inside enclosures and backboxes where there are loose Wagos (rather than DIN type which are easier to mark).

2) Is for work - large computer room - server equipment and leads.
Had a lot of problems with Dymo with the labels drying out in the hot air in the back of server cabinets. Was looking for something with better labels, and that suited cable labelling - ideally wrap around rather than pig-tailing?

For 1, sub £200 as I have many many other uses.

For 2, sub £400 as work are paying.

Quite happy with manual rather than "advanced computer attached".

If anyone uses a machine in these types of situations, what do you use?

Cheers

Tim
 12 October 2017 12:46 PM

AJJewsbury

I've used Brother machines without too many problems (still have an old p-touch 85 at home with it's weird looking but surprisingly easy to use split QWERTY layout) - for machine rooms I always used large format labels in bright colours (e.g, 18mm+ black on yellow) as they inevitably end up in dark corners no matter how good the overall lighting. I did try some label tapes that come with a overwrap kind of thing intended for data cables and but didn't have much success with that - ended up using a format that printed the ID number several times across (rather than along) and ordinary tape, cut off the blank end and wrapped it around the data lead.

For CUs etc and any special labels I tend to type what I want in a spreadsheet (and shade/colour code nicely as required) with the cells set to 18mm wide, print out onto photo paper (to get a nice glossy and reasonably robust finish) and stick on with double sided tape.

- Andy.
 12 October 2017 01:15 PM

TimJWatts

Thanks Andy,

I'll have a look at the Brother machines Sounds like they would work well in my work environment.

The "wrap around" label for cabling is what I'm after for network and mains cables at work. Might be a bit tight on a bit of 0.75-1.5mm2 in heatiing JBs, but maybe a small enough label would stick onto a lever Wago OK. Pigtails where needed (why does 5 core heating flex have 2 black conductors???)

Good call on the "yellow" labels - the lighting at ULCC is not hugely bright

All the best and thanks,

Tim
 19 October 2017 11:12 PM

TimJWatts

In the end I ordered, after some reading of the specs: https://www.screwfix.com/p/brother-pt-e550wvp-hand-held-label-printing-machine/1264g

I could have got it a bit cheaper, but I wanted it tomorrow and has an SF order anyway. That model, because I fancied being able to go up to the 24mm tape.

It looks like it covers all the bases - cables can be pigtailed, wrap around or heatshrink ( I ordered some h/shrink - reckon that will be handy for labelling conductors in my central heating system (CH/DHW/2xUFH, it will have a few wires leading to much future confusion if done without care)

They also did an extra strong adhesive tape which might be handy and I got a couple of sizes of "black on clear" to see if I can label a few things on show (fan isolators, boiler isolator, the sort of random FSU that people look at and think "Wot does that do").

I'll happily let people know what I think and whether I chose one for work too. This one looks like it can do a nice strip for CUs (regular boxed labels - as well as krone/patch panels and the like - again, proof will be in the eating with that, as always).
 20 October 2017 04:45 PM

TimJWatts

Thank you for the Brother recommendation. I am mighty impressed with the "box labelling" feature.

CU Photo with label
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.