Increase font size
Topic Title: Wago lever type
Topic Summary: Doubling over of cables
Created On: 11 October 2017 03:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 October 2017 03:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Baldyhugh

Hi
Ive just used wagos for the first time on a job and would appreciate your opinion on something. They are the 222 orange lever type and seem to be a handy alternative to terminal blocks for my particular job. My query is is it acceptable to double over the ends of the stripped cable prior to insertion? On closer inspection, the Wago terminal is a square cage clamp type design rather than a round hole. On 1.5 t&e the 1 mm Earth is a bit small In the terminal in my opinion and doubling would fill the terminal better but the installation instructions show it going in singly. What do you boys and girls do when using these?
Thanks in advance
 11 October 2017 05:06 PM

Nesspark

I have used this type of connector and I think they are superb and way better than the traditional connector block. The box I have here clearly states it is suitable for solid and stranded 0.08 to 2.5 sq mm copper and 0.08 to 4.0 sq mm flexible copper conductors. Illustration shows installation without any additional doubling over. I have never felt any need to double over to get a secure connection with these Wago terminals. I would strongly recommend following the manufacturer's instructions when using these. If they were to fail you may be certain that the failure would be blamed on incorrect installation practice.
 11 October 2017 07:42 PM

alanblaby

No, you do not double over the cable.
That type (222) is spec'd for 0.08 to 2.5mm cable. Doubling over 1.0mm cable may well take the size over 2.5mm as you never get the ends flush to each other, so you may actually make the connection worse by doubling over.
 11 October 2017 08:46 PM

sparkingchip

I mix and match the Wago connectors to use the type most suitable for the conductors. So the CPC may end with a different connector to the phase and neutral.

Andy B
 11 October 2017 09:44 PM

NE1

Andy you sound like my type of man. Cheap out on using a 24a wago on the cpc and 32a on the rest ?? for a ring.
 11 October 2017 10:53 PM

sparkingchip

There is a crossover on sizes with the Wago lever connectors, you can use both the larger and smaller connectors on 2.5 mm conductors.

The ring phase and neutral need to be able to carry 20 amps, so either size will do, but in the pub kitchen I'd be reaching for the larger size, which are too big for the CPC.

Andy B.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.