Increase font size
Topic Title: Well I never
Topic Summary:
Created On: 13 September 2017 06:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 September 2017 06:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Dave69

I was scheduled to be working in a hotel today to carry out a FRA, as soon as I walked up to the reception desk I could smell that lovely electrical bunring aroma. The manager and the chef were standing there with a cupboard housing some electrical gear and the fire alarm panel open, the manager was shinning a torch and the chef holding a water fire extinguisher, my first words were "I hope you're joking" (glad to see they had been trained in the use of their fire extinguishers)
They said they could see smoke coming out of the top of the big metal box, it was a 100A tripple pole isolator, they offered me a nice swivel chair to stand on so I could see, but using my noddle I declined and retired to my van to get a pair of step. I could see that the smoke wasnt coming from the metal box but was infact coming through a hole in the wall, I went to the otherside of the wall to see a high level cupboard with a half width hinged door, on opening the door I was greeted by plenty of smoke and two three phase dist boards and behind the fixed section I could see the meter and just make out the cutouts tucked well out of the way I then said sorry and knocked off both the 3 phase boards and the isolator on the other side, plunging the hotel into silence and darkness. Being diplomatic I then took my hammer to the fixed section of the cupboard and smashed the life out of it until it final gave up and came off. In old money the cutout on the blue phase was smoking more than a chimney, I thought about trying to pull the fuses out but then thought better of it and told the hotel manager to phone his supplier. Two hours later 2 blokes from ukp turned up, looked at it and then said we'll be back in a minute, To my surprise one of them returned wearing all the correct PPE, by now the cutout had cooled down and as he tried to pull it the holder crumbled in his hands so he jumped back rather quickly, the two of them then had a little chat about isolating half the high street to change the cut out, I half heartedly suggested we cut the live tail off replace the tail from the load side to meter, mount a new carrier lower down and then carefully put the live feed tail back in, they agreed, at this point I said I was only joking and walked away. In less than 10 minutes one of them came to my van saying it was all done, fuses back in and ready for me to switch on. After turning everything back on I did put my tongs on each phase, red and yellow were around 20amps each and blue was hovering around 65A, so a nicely balanced load.
Anyway enough waffle, im just wondering whether adequate access applies to the boards fuses or just the customers side of things?
 13 September 2017 07:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

gkenyon

I don't think the Electricity At Work Regulations has an exception to its scope for supplier's equipment (unlike BS 7671).

-------------------------
EUR ING Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
G Kenyon Technology Ltd

Web-Site: www.gkenyontech.com
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.