IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Completing my last lived in rewire as had enough!!!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12 September 2017 11:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 September 2017 11:33 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

antric2

Evening all,
After many a year doing alsorts of electrical work, I am just in the throws of finishing off a lived in domestic rewire.

This is the last one I am doing as I am sick and tired of spending more time moving stuff from blocking every place that needs work doing only to find next day that the owner has moved everything back or put some new stuff in its place.
Lofts full of crap,bedrooms and dining rooms full despite my many a request for the customer to move stuff, kids,pets ,visitors, teenagers who are still in bed at 2 in the afternoon means I have had enough.
Charging for moving stuff is ok but where do you regain the time.

Also, over the many early years,I have been had with the ,you have stained my floor,dining table,marked my door,broke my wardrobe leg, you have left oil stains on the drive...even when I havnt parked on the drive. etc etc that I just smiled when my customer greeted me one morning with ....." you let my pedigree cat out yesterday and it may have mingled with the local cats which isnt aloud blah blah blahthat I just didnt have a reply apart from a long deep huff."unbelievable.

Any way, got that off my chest...but give me empty bunglows any day of the week or just pure maintenance and callouts.
Rant finished.
Regards
Antric
 12 September 2017 11:42 PM

ebee

A mate of mine similar age gave up lived ins about 30 years ago.
I have now finally decide the same for all the reasons you stated,

Yes we are stark raving bonkers and I have seen the light at the young age of 62.

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 12 September 2017 11:44 PM

ebee

Antric,
get yerself here mate and we will quoff a flagoon of ale or two and celebrate our freedom

Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 13 September 2017 12:03 AM

antric2

Originally posted by: ebee

Antric,

get yerself here mate and we will quoff a flagoon of ale or two and celebrate our freedom

Ebee,
Freedom.Never thought of it as that but you are exactly correct....it is the perfect word for how I feel about my decision.
 13 September 2017 07:47 AM

505diff

Any work, especially domestic needs good terms and conditions on quotes, for instance if I do a board change, the quote will stipulate the cupboard will be fully emptied before I arrive on site, waiting time is charged if it's not, normally £50. Also if I have to move furniture the same applies, area cleared of personals belongings or you pay, not easy on a rewire I know, however you will be amazed when it comes to paying an extra £50 for something how people have the time beforehand to clear your path, as for people laying in bed I just ignore them, curtains opened, windows opened, radio on, the message filters through fairly quickly, having a copy of the quote in your back pocket to hand them is also reminds them of the agreement. And don't get me started about semi naked female students roaming around all day, they have cost me at least two pairs of side cutters which were lost to cutting live cables instead of the one next to it!
 13 September 2017 10:29 AM

Ricicle

Council, lived-in rewires were the worst for me. Tenants not really wanting you there and spending all day moaning to you about their landlord! At least most of them were surface wiring so they could be knocked out as quickly as possible. On the private ones I've had a woman crying about the mess as she wasn't fully told by my boss at the time what was involved -she just thought we pulled the wires through existing tubes?!?!

Empty barrels make the most noise.
 13 September 2017 11:00 AM

dustydazzler

Occupied rewires are an utter ball ache.
Laminated flooring everywhere , fitted furniture , lofts crammed to the rafters with junk.
I quite honestly wouldn't do an occupied rewire if you paid me double.
My dad and I did our last occupied rewire about 12 years ago and we never touched one since, he is now happily retired and even thou we have been offered rewires we have turned them down.
 13 September 2017 02:19 PM

Fm

You need to learn to educate your customers.
When we did lots of council rewrites we visited 2 weeks before with the council liaison officer advising this and this would happen, we did the same on private rewrites, there were no illusions that it would be messy and a level of distruption.

Advise them before saves an argument later
 13 September 2017 03:17 PM

dustydazzler

I'm all for forward planning , but when ever I see a house with laminated flooring upstairs and downstairs my first reaction was this is going to be a right ball ache.
I often would deploy a carpenter to rip it up and then speak to the customer about re laying it at their own expense
 14 September 2017 12:02 AM

antric2

Originally posted by: Fm

You need to learn to educate your customers.

When we did lots of council rewrites we visited 2 weeks before with the council liaison officer advising this and this would happen, we did the same on private rewrites, there were no illusions that it would be messy and a level of distruption.

Advise them before saves an argument later

Evening FM,
Thats a lovely world you describe above

I have done over 100 partial\full rewires in last 11 years
Trust me,I go in week before and no matter what you tell them it doesnt happen in most cases.
But I must say that if you get a customer who listens then they are 100% in what they do but I rekon that at least 7 or 8 out of 10 do nowt and it doesnt matter how often you try to educate them.There is no inbetween.....they do or they dont.

But back to my currently ending rewire in question, I was asked to day why spots in living room had not been done and unfortunately my sarcasem went into overdrive as living room and main bed above are the storage areas for the house at the moment but obviously common sense mustnt live at this house as they have been told 3 times what is happening.
Regards
Antric
Regards
Antric

Edited: 14 September 2017 at 12:11 AM by antric2
 14 September 2017 01:26 AM

mapj1

And don't get me started about semi naked female students roaming around all day, they have cost me at least two pairs of side cutters which were lost to cutting live cables instead of the one next to it!

you really should not be lending your tooling out to folk like that..

regards Mike
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.