IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Me and my dad say Hi.
Topic Summary: A generation of Engineers seeks advice.
Created On: 11 September 2017 09:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 September 2017 09:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

konstantine

Hello,
I'm an Aerospace Engineering student in third year at Bristol Uni. However, the reason I registered is my father. See, he got a Bachelor's in Electrical engineering in Bulgaria a while back, but worked in his own newspaper company for over 20 years. Now he wants to be an electrician as this has been his hobby and dream. (I guess engineering runs in the family or he's just an inspiring father) I know I shouldn't start discussions here, so if anyone has some advice on what qualifications he needs to get to move here and start work, I'd be more than happy to continue in PMs. He doesn't have experience or formal qualification (apart from the bachelors) and wants work here as the pay is much better. I'm writing instead of him as his English isn't top notch, so he doesn't want to embarrass himself. Thank you all in advance.
Regards,
Konstantin
 12 September 2017 01:11 PM

mapj1

Well you are in the main forum now. Perhaps edit the title of this post or start a new one -
However I'd ask what sort of electrician - there are many levels at which people work in the UK, from repair and installations, domestic (mostly single phase) Industrial (mostly 3 phase), and then the less hands on but more complex design and planning of big projects.
Do you mean degree level ? That lends towards design/ planning. In contrast most working electricians are qualified by a more practical route. Equally something about the qualifications may be lost in translation.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 13 September 2017 01:48 PM

DonaldKeenan

My son is looking at become an electrician next year when he completes his GCSEs. Hopefully later in life I can encourage him to go to Uni to become an engineer. I have looked around at the local colleges a few weeks ago to help him and found he can attend years 1-3 at college and he will be a qualified electrician. All the relevant City and Guilds qualifications. This will then require 2 years industrial experience to earn his time served electrician status. College for under 19's is free. For an over 19 it would cost approx. £4k assume year 1 not required. I also found other routes online for fast track etc.. approx. £7k. C&Gs just look for a course in your area. the best solution is to work with a company while your learning.

Regards
Don
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.