Topic Title: Cables behind skirting boards
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07 September 2017 05:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 September 2017 11:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ebee

Cables behind skirtings (in the wall it`s fixed to ) are permitted providing they are vertical to sockets/switches etc.

I suppose ditto horozontal but you would never put a socket/witch etc at skirting height. Would you?

-------------------------
Regards,
Ebee (M I S P N)

Knotted cables cause Lumpy Lektrik
 13 September 2017 12:37 AM

OlympusMons

Originally posted by: ebee

Cables behind skirtings (in the wall it`s fixed to ) are permitted providing they are vertical to sockets/switches etc.

I suppose ditto horozontal but you would never put a socket/witch etc at skirting height. Would you?

Depends on the height of the skirting. Some are huge, especially in older properties.
The diagram showing permitted zones does not have a skirting, so it makes sense not to bury cables there in case they are fitted later.
If they are surface fixed and the carpenter fitting the skirting can see it, then there shouldn't be a problem. A skirting is not part of a wall.
I am not saying I have done this, but, from the regs, I can see why others have done this and thought it to be compliant.
 13 September 2017 08:56 PM

jonny705

Evening , I had this problem last year in a flat with solid ceilings and floors, so ran it in BS 8436 cable behind the skirting.
I could chop enough plaster from wall to make it flush to allow the skirting to go back flush.

If the Plaster has been feathered down and is really thin at FFL you will have to chase into the brick which is a mare.
The only other way round it as to space the skirting off the wall , but unless you like, or are good at Carpentry its quite a fiddly job.

Capping is so thin now , if I drove nail into the wall ,it would go straight through anyway.

Pine Skirting vs coke can thick Capping vs Brittle Plastic trucking in a mechanical protection role when hit with a large hammer would win every time
 14 September 2017 03:58 PM

weirdbeard

204 posts to read on a related topic :

http://www.theiet.org/forums/f...tid=205&threadid=37768

-------------------------
:beer)
IET » Wiring and the regulations » Cables behind skirting boards

<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.