Increase font size
Topic Title: Telexcom Burgular Alarm with FA components
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 August 2017 02:35 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 August 2017 02:35 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

MrOther

I have a Burgular (BA) with Fire Alarm sounder, CO2, Heat detectors for a domestic rewire. It says it is EN54 compliant but my limited knowledge says this is nonsense as this is a suite of standards and the one I should be looking at is BS (insert standard it's escaped me for the moment). Will it need fire rates cable, the manufacturer seems to think 8c Alarm cable will be suitable. Would this system be suitable for a rented apartment?
 12 August 2017 01:39 PM

peteTLM

The local alarm companies around here do these burglar/ fire alarms with just normal stranded alarm cable. Domestic properties are (usually) much smaller than commercial so i wouldn't see the need for fire rated cable, and i think you would struggle to get it into these components and look neat.

For that added Nacoss alarm company look, don't forget to run under carpet, staple around door frames and use the white sheath off the cable to sleeve your cps's................joking of course, but i usually find 'alarm' company standards of install complete rubbish.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 12 August 2017 04:24 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: MrOther

I have a Burgular (BA) with Fire Alarm sounder, CO2, Heat detectors for a domestic rewire. It says it is EN54 compliant but my limited knowledge says this is nonsense as this is a suite of standards and the one I should be looking at is BS (insert standard it's escaped me for the moment). Will it need fire rates cable, the manufacturer seems to think 8c Alarm cable will be suitable. Would this system be suitable for a rented apartment?

Texecom do a wireless version which would eliminate you worrying as to whether their cabled system installation instructions are #fatallyflawed ?

:beer)
 13 August 2017 11:55 AM

MrOther

It's a full rewire Pete so nothing will be on show!!

Weirdbeard, I'm trying to reduce the amount of wireless in the house. I find it unreliable.
 14 August 2017 08:50 PM

Nedryerson

Pete,

Connecting smoke detectors to a burglar alarm just doesn't 'feel' right but there is nothing in BS5839 to prevent it.

I would draw the line at using 8 core alarm cable for the detectors. 4c FP would be required as the Texecom detectors require a supply.

Ned
 14 August 2017 11:24 PM

Timeserved

Why not just go with mains powered and battery backup interlinked, keep it simple?

EN54 just means the detector complies with that particular standard, most detector bases can be run off 12vdc, hence the intruder alarm scenario, ps if you're going down this route I would suggest fitting a piezo sound bomb or equivalent upstairs and downstairs otherwise there's not much point Imo good luck to waking anyone with a standard loudspeaker or keypad after they have been down the pub for a few.
 15 August 2017 06:54 AM

Nedryerson

I think he has been instructed to go with the Texecom equipment.

Just a small point, but I seem to remember that Texecom don't do a call point. Is that still the case ?

Ned
 16 August 2017 09:08 AM

nad

Good morning,

I agree with Timeserved, (BS) EN 54 is a component standard (one for the Manufacturers) which is then referenced in BS 5839. I think you should check with BS 5839-6 that you're are installing the recommended Grade and Category of system, as this differs depending on the type of dwelling (generally larger properties warrant more sophisticated systems).

In the back of my mind I seem to remember that non-dedicated systems or multi-function systems were not recommended, e.g. combined fire and intruder alarm. But this may have changed or may not apply here.

Regards,

Nad

*Regularly edited due to spell cheque misdiagnosis
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.