Increase font size
Topic Title: electronic earth leakage trips
Topic Summary:
Created On: 15 July 2017 06:27 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 15 July 2017 06:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

kellyselectric

One of my little hobby's is collecting old plugs and adaptors(yes I know I'm sad/need to get out more) anyway my mate brought be a couple of 5 amp 2 and3 pin adaptors and decided to try them out I have a suitable plug board which is protected by a plug in electronic RCD. Unfortunately 2 of them had some internal arcing going on I tried to wiggle the plug to see if I cud stop it and the breaker tripped this happened several times the load used to test was a frequency counter of similar vintage its got a mains filter built in why did it trip there's no oviouse path to earth other than the caps to earth in the counter
 15 July 2017 07:59 PM

geoffsd

Just to be sure - you mean the RCD tripped.

You say there is arcing in the adaptor - L to E ? , or

N and E touching ?

Try wiggling a plug with no load connected.
 15 July 2017 08:52 PM

kellyselectric

Yes I mean the RCD tripped sorry shud of made that clearer. I think the arcing is in both lines in series with the load. There is no arcing between lines both adaptors are totally dry inside and reasonably clean a little corrosion in one but that's all
 15 July 2017 09:32 PM

geoffsd

Ok. I see now.

I think you will just have to put it down as one of those things that just happens - like sometimes RCDs trip when something is switched OFF - cured by fitting a new switch.
 16 July 2017 06:59 PM

kellyselectric

I did some more testing today I fitted a 5amp plug to a bit of flex and a 15watt pygmy bulb plugged it into the troublesome adaptor and no matter what I did the RCD didn't trip also the arcing didn't seem so loud. Next I took the earth off of the plug of the frequency counter and again no tripping as soon as I touched the earth wire to its terminal I could provoke a trip.also the arcing noise on a nearby radio was really intensified by touching the earth on its terminal.
 17 July 2017 12:01 AM

geoffsd

That would seem to indicate a faulty counter.

Can you not pinch together the contacts in the adaptors to eliminate them?
 17 July 2017 01:05 AM

kellyselectric

Its possible the counter is faulty it must be around 50 years old by now rather than risking breaking an old adaptor I just swapped it out with a other one which is much better behaved
 17 July 2017 09:41 AM

Zoomup

Originally posted by: kellyselectric

Its possible the counter is faulty it must be around 50 years old by now rather than risking breaking an old adaptor I just swapped it out with a other one which is much better behaved

Yes, internal electronic components may be leaky after so much time. Capacitors are notorious for breaking down when old.

Bye,

Z.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.