Increase font size
Topic Title: LPG supply to gas fire - bonding question
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 June 2017 03:08 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2017 03:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

geov

Hi all, can anyone advise re the following planned installation?
Two portable lpg containers located externally on a hard standing, serving a lpg gas fire in a living room. I'm told the gas supply will be via a rigid 8mm dia copper pipe.
Is it simply a question of checking if an external potential is being introduced, to confirm if bonding is required or are there some "must do" requirements?
Regards.
 18 June 2017 04:54 PM

daveparry1

If the copper pipe is buried in the concrete path or floor etc. it will need bonding, otherwise not.
 18 June 2017 05:44 PM

AJJewsbury

If it's the usual propane steel "bottles" - the connection to the bottles themselves is normally rubber hose (either low pressure with the regulator attached to the bottle, or high pressure with the regulator combined with an auto change-over mounted on the wall. So either way the bottles themselves are unlikely to be a source of potential for the pipework. That only leaves the pipework itself - if it's in the ground or embedded in a damp masonry wall then it could well introduce an earth potential - if in doubt a quick check with an insulation tester to a known good earth with tell you. Over about 23k Ohms and you can ignore it.
- Andy.
 18 June 2017 06:11 PM

geov

Dave/Andy,
Thanks for the responses, confirms what I thought. It's been ages since I've had to deal with lpg supplies, hence was keen to check.
Regards.
 18 June 2017 07:06 PM

geoffsd

The fact that it is an LPG supply is irrelevant.

The only determining factor for main bonding is whether or not the pipe is and extraneous-conductive-part; not what it is.

You say "I'm told the gas supply will be via a rigid 8mm dia copper pipe" so presumably it has not yet been fitted therefore no one can yet tell.

Are there electrical devices in the gas fire with a CPC to which the pipe may be connected?
 18 June 2017 08:26 PM

geov

Thanks Geoff. Yep, the installation has still to take place. I've already enquired about the fire spec but have yet to hear. I was asked about the electrical implications of the install and have provided the info supplied, in my op. I've advised about testing the completed install (won't be my Co!) with regard to the possible need for bonding. I was interested however, in hearing if there was any potential additional requirements flowing from any regs relating to a domestic lpg installation, purely for my own information.
 18 June 2017 09:42 PM

geoffsd

Not as far as inside is concerned.

If you had a large permanent tank outside, there may be some additional requirements for that.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.