IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Smoke alarm bleeping during electrical testing for an EICR.
Topic Summary: Friday night quiz.
Created On: 16 June 2017 04:57 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 16 June 2017 04:57 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sparkingchip

A couple of months ago I tested a flat for a housing association as part of preparing an EICR.

I did a loop test for Ze and the single hard wired Aico smoke alarm in the hallway bleeped, my first thought was "why is there a smoke alarm"? As the HA don't fit them in their flats.

So I thought straight away it must be a tenants DIY installation and made a note to check it later.

Then I did the RCD testing and the alarm bleeped on each of the five tests performed by the test meters when I pressed the test button.

So I dismantled the alarm and found a simple and obvious answer to the bleeping, and the remedial work was quickly completed.

Who's up for stating what the problem was?

Andy B.
 16 June 2017 05:03 PM

WiredScience

cpc used as the neutral?
 16 June 2017 05:39 PM

sparkingchip

Originally posted by: WiredScience

cpc used as the neutral?

No.
 16 June 2017 05:43 PM

WiredScience

cpc in the interlink?
 16 June 2017 06:00 PM

arg

PP3 backup battery was flat or missing, hence it beeped each time the power was interrupted?
 16 June 2017 06:14 PM

sparkingchip

Yes, CPC connected to the interlink terminal.

The testers put enough current into the earth system to raise the voltage and momentarily trigger the alarm.

Each flat has a heat detector inside its front door connected to the communal area alarm, but they go not supply or maintain smoke alarms within the flats. A few tenants have installed battery alarms though this is the only mains powered alarm with battery backup I have seen.

I was tempted to ask if they wanted it removed being tenant DIY wiring, but decided to go with the flow and tidy it up rather than being provocative!

Andy B
 16 June 2017 08:25 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: sparkingchip

Yes, CPC connected to the interlink terminal.

The testers put enough current into the earth system to raise the voltage and momentarily trigger the alarm.

Each flat has a heat detector inside its front door connected to the communal area alarm, but they go not supply or maintain smoke alarms within the flats. A few tenants have installed battery alarms though this is the only mains powered alarm with battery backup I have seen.

I was tempted to ask if they wanted it removed being tenant DIY wiring, but decided to go with the flow and tidy it up rather than being provocative!

Andy, did you mean Zdb rather than Ze, because if you had the main earth disco'd then how would it affect the detectors connections?

-------------------------
:beer)
 16 June 2017 09:12 PM

sparkingchip

It would technically be Zdb, however there isn't any gas so there is not a gas main and the water supply is plastic as is the soil pipe work,so disconnecting the main earth makes no difference to the outcome.

So having assessed the installation the test was completed with the earthing in place, which then highlighted the smoke alarm miswiring.

Andy B
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.