Increase font size
Topic Title: EICR "Next inspection due"
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 April 2017 07:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 April 2017 07:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

geov

Evening,
a quick question for those of you who do EICRs. If you have carried out a periodic which is unsatisfactory, and you don't know if you will be doing the remedials, do you still put the "Next inspection due" sticker on the CU/DB and if so, what date do you put on it?
Regards.
 19 April 2017 10:36 PM

AJJewsbury

Ignore the remedials or just assume that they'll be done. I'd start counting the next inspection date from the previous inspection (not the correction of the remedials). Take the standard period between inspections (e.g. 10 years for a simple domestic) and adjust up or down considering how the installation is being treated (lots of impact damage or perfect apart from just being old?) and whether anything that's expected to remain after the C1 and C2 remedials have been done would have an unexpectedly short service life (maybe old rubber insulation that looks and tests OK at the moment or PVC cables in sunlight).
- Andy.
 20 April 2017 04:50 PM

Alcomax

Exactly as Andy states above, though perhaps consider it should not be assumed that the inspector will be undertaking any remedial work [ if indeed necessary ]. On occasion, faced with a veritable barrage of C2 items, I have re-inspection date as 3 months. Yes, the guidance [ BS7671] states interval is provisional on all C1/C2/FI being actioned, however this does not take into account a perception by many recipients of EICR's that the "next inspection" label is like are car MOT certificate that "expires". Even more so, a label with a scheme operators logo on it can be seen as a mark of approval for an installation, regardless of actual safety. Unless there is some enforcing authority [e.g. insurance or common law duty of care for rental ] the recipient may not attend to any safety issues.

Inspection engineers [ registration schemes ] on occasion, erroneously enforce "the dual use" of the periodic inspection label. In my opinion it should only be used on wholly new installations or following a periodic inspection. Example of this is installation of a new circuit. This should not warrant a new "next inspection " label. The original can remain or if you prefer a new label with the same dates as before. Of course where this fails is if there has been no original compliance in respect of 631.1 or no subsequent periodic inspection. A real world solution is then to install a label : date of last inspection = "unknown", recommended date of next inspection = " overdue".

BS7671 is aspirational , insomuch it is assumed that when installation was new it was wholly to standard applicable at that time and / or if deviated from appropriate standard, there is some documentation in explanation of safety of an alternative approach. Again there is this assumption for future alterations and additions.Regular "verification" in some format is presumed [ !!!!! ]. On this premise , the only "non-compliances" you should encounter further down the line would be due to "wear and tear", "damage" [ e.g. overloading ] and changes to the standard [BS7671].....Of course in the vast majority of real world installations this does not happen and BS7671 can be unwieldy to implement after the event.
 20 April 2017 06:43 PM

John Peckham

In my view the maximum period for the next Periodic Inspection should be as recommended in IET GN3.

As Andy above says the inspector could shorten the period if the installation is very old or subject to extreme conditions but you would have to be very brave to extend the period beyond the GN3 recommendation.

As for putting a shorter period because the inspector may not get the remedial work that is very wrong. The report should be an independent report by the inspector on the condition of the installation and not a quotation for future work.

The next date for inspection is conditional as it says in the caveat in the report,

" provided that any items in section 8 which have been attributed a Classification C1 (danger present) are remedied immediately and that any items which have been attributed a Code C2 (potentially dangerous) or require further investigation are remedied or investigated respectively as a matter of urgency. Items which have been attributed a Classification code C3 should be improved as soon a practicable (see section 8).". Taken from my Tysoft reports others may vary slightly.

I did test the idea on this forum of using an alternative label for unsatisfactory outcomes to indicate the installation was "unsatisfactory" and to direct occupiers and others to the EICR. I propsed this after and incident where a letting agent was pointing to the standard EICR label as an indication that the installation had been inspected and was safe when is was unsafe. I did not get much support for this idea.

-------------------------
John Peckham

http://www.astutetechnicalservices.co.uk/
 20 April 2017 07:45 PM

geov

Gents, thanks for your responses. Just to be clear, I totally agree an EICR should never be carried out with the intention of getting to do any required remedial work! My mention of remedial work in my OP was in the context of not knowing that the remedial work would actually be done after submission of the report.
I have always just completed the "Next inspection due" sticker as per Andy's post, but was challenged about doing this when the report was unsatisfactory - as has been suggested, some may simply see the sticker and assume all is well; hence I queried what others did.
 20 April 2017 08:31 PM

weirdbeard

Originally posted by: geov

Evening,

a quick question for those of you who do EICRs. If you have carried out a periodic which is unsatisfactory, and you don't know if you will be doing the remedials, do you still put the "Next inspection due" sticker on the CU/DB and if so, what date do you put on it?

Regards.

I'd recommend aborting the inspection on Health and safety grounds and issue a danger notice to document all the urgent dangers that need immediate or further urgent action recommended such as the Nic xxn4 danger notification certificate.

-------------------------
:beer)
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.