Increase font size
Topic Title: Fluke failed to run insulation resistance test
Topic Summary: R1+Rn to R2 failed at 80v
Created On: 20 March 2017 09:37 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 March 2017 09:37 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ChewPropertyServices

So I was running the above test today on a final ring circuit and had joined r1rn because there were appliances I could not disconnect. Pretest ran ok to 500v but the actual test stopped at 80v and failed to report a resistance?

What was I doing wrong? I've used this successfully in the past on similar circuits.

Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

Chris
 20 March 2017 10:08 PM

mapj1

normally this means that there is a 'pick-up' problem between the circuit you are testing and an adjacent live one - the tester will refuse to test if it detects a voltage on the circuit being measured.
Modern electronic meters have a very high input impedance, and can easily be fooled by stray voltages capacitative coupling between live cables and dead ones along side..

-------------------------
regards Mike
 20 March 2017 10:14 PM

ChewPropertyServices

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the response. The whole board was off and this was a circuit at the far end so I don't understand how it could be adjacent live circuits. Any other ideas? I turned the circuit off with a washing machine mid cycle - could that do it?

Thanks again

Chris
 21 March 2017 07:04 PM

geov

Do the circuit conductors run close to the incoming live tails? I've had a similar, but different problem with a Megger1720 when trying to do a continuity test. Main switch was off, but the incoming tails ran alongside most of the final circuits as they entered the back of the consumer unit.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.