IET logo

IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: FAULTY RESIDUAL CURRENT CIRCUIT BREAKERS.
Topic Summary: AND ASSOCIATED DANGERS.
Created On: 20 March 2017 10:39 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 March 2017 10:39 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Zoomup

Mornin All,
Recently I came across two split load consumer units in one house, one mounted above the other. (Circa late 80s early 90s). A total of four M.K. R.C.C.B.s is present and when I tested the units by the test buttons three out of the four did not trip off. After manually turning off the switches and resetting, two of the three then switched off by the test button use, two did not. A fifty percent failure rate. If this had been a TT earthed system then I would have been very worried, fortunately it is not.

I have become aware of self testing R.C.C.B.s. But they are large and must be expensive.

So, what is the way to ensure that the general public gets R.C.C.B.s tested in a regular basis> Is there a way?

Bye,

Z.
 20 March 2017 11:03 AM

AJJewsbury

In the old days they would have had a "Public Information Film" - but unless someone can point to the kind of statistics/incidents that would justify the cost, I suspect it's going to be a long way down anyone's list of priorities. The fire service are always on about cases where a family died in their sleep in a fire because the smoke alarm didn't work (or had been deliberately disabled or had never been fitted) - but off the top of my head at least I can't think of a single incident where someone died due to an RCD being faulty.
- Andy.
 20 March 2017 02:46 PM

psychicwarrior

Is it a case that the basic safety instruction (if given and labelled) to manually test quarterly (or some other interval better than nothing) is not being adhered to. :-~

What character would take the lead in such a public info. film.
 20 March 2017 03:03 PM

sparkingchip

Originally posted by: AJJewsbury

In the old days they would have had a "Public Information Film" - but unless someone can point to the kind of statistics/incidents that would justify the cost, I suspect it's going to be a long way down anyone's list of priorities. The fire service are always on about cases where a family died in their sleep in a fire because the smoke alarm didn't work (or had been deliberately disabled or had never been fitted) - but off the top of my head at least I can't think of a single incident where someone died due to an RCD being faulty.

- Andy.

If the 35 year old voltage operated switch had been replaced with a working RCD the outcome may have been different, so the lack of a working RCD was a contributing factor.

Andy B.
 20 March 2017 03:12 PM

sparkingchip

20 March 2017 05:27 PM

AJJewsbury

but it's still the 'buy one and you'll be safe message' not 'you need to take responsibility to repeatedly test it yourself' message.
- Andy.
 20 March 2017 05:56 PM

mikejumper

Originally posted by: Zoomup
So, what is the way to ensure that the general public gets R.C.C.B.s tested in a regular basis> Is there a way?
Z.

Yes. Texts, social media etc.. but it's still going to be a hard sell.

If it was just a question of pressing the test button and then resetting the RCD more people might do it, but quite often all or most of the MCB's need to be switched off first before it will reset. Then there's all the electronic stuff that needs resetting.

I guess also that if everything is working ok there is a reluctance to interfere with it.
 20 March 2017 06:10 PM

sparkingchip

As an electrician I am wary of pressing the test button on an RCD just to check it without ensuring that if it is faulty and will not reset I will get paid to replace it, as I am with fused main switches. Earlier this year I had a conversation with a buy to let landlord who did not want to pay my labour for replacing both a fused main switch and RCD that would not reset I had turned them off to check which supply went to which flat, as it happens she has a account at a wholesalers and I had already replenished my van stock using her account, so we agreed to differ, she paid the materials and I lost out on two hours replacing the faulty parts and going to her wholesalers to get replacements.

I have also had a RCBO blow up when I pressed the button, so tend to use the end of a screwdriver or the like if I think it hasn't been tested frequently.

Andy B
 20 March 2017 06:18 PM

sparkingchip

A collection of ESC videos

Still no mention of regular RCD testing by the home owner or tenants using the test button.

Andy B
 20 March 2017 07:45 PM

daveparry1

Are you sure it wasn't N-E fault/s?
 20 March 2017 07:50 PM

sparkingchip

Damp and rust!
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.