Increase font size
Topic Title: antivirus
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 March 2017 06:16 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 March 2017 06:16 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jcm256

Just wondering what type of free antivirus others use I used AVG for a long time but it went out of hand with pop ups and warnings of doom if you did not purchase a package.
I changed to Avast, and worked ok with (you are protected for a long time) but again a pain with update windows popping up and did not know if I had protection or not. I have come to the conclusion that if I use my bank card in any shop you get advertisements popping up with what you have bought, could be wrong but computers are getting to smart.

I have now switched to PANDA free antivirus program, it says it will run on its own day and will update itself. Just wondering if any good or what others use if you don't want to part with money annually.
Thanks jcm
 18 March 2017 06:26 PM

typiod

I use Sophos. It is free
 18 March 2017 06:56 PM

spinlondon

I don't use one, never really have.
 19 March 2017 08:52 AM

tomgunn

I used to use AVG but I didnt like it... so now I use, (although they all having 'nagging' pop-up screens), Panda... its free. Be careful where you download it... heres the link I use...Panda

regards...

-------------------------
Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
 19 March 2017 12:45 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Jaymack

Originally posted by: jcm256

Just wondering what type of free antivirus others use

I used McAfee till about 2 months ago and dropped them, after they tried to renew at about 70 squid. I initially switched to AVG free and then went for a paid product at about the same price, mainly because I also have a laptop that requires a spring clean, and still has Windows XP * which is not now supported - and AVG has a PC tuneup. AVG has continual nags moreso than McAfee, which was less intrusive. I wouldn't have bothered with an antivirus at all and relied on Windows Essentials - "Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software."

I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware though to avoid ransomware, I was caught out once with locked files but after a search on the net, I managed to delete the barsteward's ransomware.

*I also still have a desktop from nineteen canteen, this has Windows '98 and Windows Millenium that I sometimes use when nostalgic, that's not used for the internet though".

Be careful out there
 19 March 2017 02:40 PM

tomgunn

Originally posted by: Jaymack

Originally posted by: jcm256

Just wondering what type of free antivirus others use

I used McAfee till about 2 months ago and dropped them, after they tried to renew at about 70 squid. I initially switched to AVG free and then went for a paid product at about the same price, mainly because I also have a laptop that requires a spring clean, and still has Windows XP * which is not now supported - and AVG has a PC tuneup. AVG has continual nags moreso than McAfee, which was less intrusive. I wouldn't have bothered with an antivirus at all and relied on Windows Essentials - "Microsoft Security Essentials provides real-time protection for your home or small business PC that guards against viruses, spyware, and other malicious software."

I would recommend Malwarebytes Anti-Malware though to avoid ransomware, I was caught out once with locked files but after a search on the net, I managed to delete the barsteward's ransomware.

*I also still have a desktop from nineteen canteen, this has Windows '98 and Windows Millenium that I sometimes use when nostalgic, that's not used for the internet though".

Be careful out there [IMG][/IMG]

The problem with Malwarebytes is... to me it doesnt seems to do anything other than remove all of your passwords.. so I have given up on that... just be careful where you go and what emails, with attachments, you open.

If you want to clean anything up then I would look at Google as theres so much rubbish - go to the settings and have a cleanout and you'll find that pages, especially Ebay, will load faster!

Thats why I got rid of AVG as it was too much 'nagging'... dont forget you have a firewall with windows... so dont worry / bother about that!

Tom

-------------------------
Tom.... (The TERMINATOR).

handyTRADESMAN

Castle Builders
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.