Increase font size
Topic Title: Newbie
Topic Summary: smart meter wiring
Created On: 17 March 2017 02:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 March 2017 02:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

emmess

Hi, new to this forum. I am not in any way an electrical engineer - just a puzzled consumer! My electricity supplier offered me a smart meter install and I said yes.

They sub the installations to Siemens. The engineer came out and said he couldn't fit it because my meter and many others (we live in an apartment block with a dedicated meter room with 52 meters) are mounted on a series of long metal panel boards and he couldn't get behind the one and 3 other meters are on.

However one of the other meters on a different metal panel board has just been replaced with a smart meter by an engineer from one of the Big 4 energy companies.

So I queried this with my supplier and the answer given to them by Siemens is : "To meet regulations, they would need to upgrade the neutral wire size from 8mm single insulated to 16-25 mm double insulated. **** energy company have made the decision to fit your neighbour's Smart meter without upgrading the writing, but Siemens have advised we'll need to do this to meet regulations."

And they say for this they need to have access to behind the meters, which isn't feasible.

Is this information re regs accurate ? How come another company seems to have put one in?

Hope you can clarify for me.Many thanks.
 17 March 2017 06:53 PM

geoffsd

That was lucky.

Tell them you have changed your mind and now do not want a smart meter.
 17 March 2017 07:19 PM

sparkingchip

The fact that you are questioning it on this forum indicates that you think the explanation is highly dubious and to be honest it does sound like a load of twaddle.

For a start 8 mm is not a standard conductor size.

Are the mater tails exposed to touch or enclosed in trunking?

Andy B
 17 March 2017 08:52 PM

AJJewsbury

Is there some local overcurrent protection the meter bods have overlooked? (6mm2 for a small flat on a 30A or 45A OPD wouldn't be unheard of).
- Andy.
 17 March 2017 09:13 PM

sparkingchip

Originally posted by: emmess

Hi, new to this forum. I am not in any way an electrical engineer - just a puzzled consumer! My electricity supplier offered me a smart meter install and I said yes.

They sub the installations to Siemens. The engineer came out and said he couldn't fit it because my meter and many others (we live in an apartment block with a dedicated meter room with 52 meters) are mounted on a series of long metal panel boards and he couldn't get behind the one and 3 other meters are on.

However one of the other meters on a different metal panel board has just been replaced with a smart meter by an engineer from one of the Big 4 energy companies.

So I queried this with my supplier and the answer given to them by Siemens is : "To meet regulations, they would need to upgrade the neutral wire size from 8mm single insulated to 16-25 mm double insulated. **** energy company have made the decision to fit your neighbour's Smart meter without upgrading the writing, but Siemens have advised we'll need to do this to meet regulations."

And they say for this they need to have access to behind the meters, which isn't feasible.

Is this information re regs accurate ? How come another company seems to have put one in?

Hope you can clarify for me.Many thanks.

So have they notified the relevant company to get this dangerous installation made safe, so they can replace the meters?

Andy B
 17 March 2017 11:52 PM

mapj1

well it may be a T wired meter with two live connexions and one neutral - in whcih case the neutral is only for voltage sensing, and can be thinner.

However, I detect slopey shoulders - either it is dangerous bemuse the cable is undersized, and the BNO (building network operator) will need to upgrade the wiring behind the panel, then a new meter can be fitted, or it isn't and a meter can be fitted...
you see where this ought to end up.

Not dealing with it improves the profitability of the meter installers, as they only do the easy jobs, but its no help to you.

-------------------------
regards Mike
 19 March 2017 10:41 AM

emmess

Hi, thank you everybody for your comments.

I have some photos of the meter area/my meter (black one)/neighbours (white one). If that helps to identify the wring and whether this
"upgrade due to regs" is correct, then I would very interested to hear your views.

https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0n5VaUrzZsbZi

Again, many thanks. Appreciate your help.
 19 March 2017 11:04 AM

mapj1

Is the bit of what appears to be twisted pair of black, the same piece we can see in the henley block - that is the black box with the wire seal, as goes into your meter. That 6 inches of rag end ? Well OK, if they dont like it thay can change it in seconds.
If so the seal on the block needs to be cut and about 6 inches of new blue tail fitted!!

-------------------------
regards Mike
 20 March 2017 11:46 PM

alancapon

Not dangerous, but almost certainly against the Meter Operator's regulations. The customer's neutral should come from the meter, and the connection between the neutral block and the meter needs to be larger.

Regards,

Alan.
Statistics

New here?

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2017 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.