IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Testing for Lightning Protection System
Topic Summary: Testing frequency for lightning protection system.
Created On: 12 October 2012 11:02 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12 October 2012 11:02 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ESOMER

I am a design engineer who has only ever designed lightning protection systems, and even then this has not been a regular occurence, however, I have recently been asked about how often lightning protection systems need to be tested. Is anyone aware of a regulation which governs this? Or if there is a standard period of time that these need to be tested within? Any help is appreciated.
 14 October 2012 08:39 PM

cookers

A google search produced this "BS EN 62305 states that Lightning Protection Systems should be tested at maximum intervals of 12 months. It is usually advised that 11 monthly intervals are undertaken, so that the effects of seasonal variations can be taken into account."

However it all depends!, the occurence and likelyhood of lightning strikes varies depending where you are in the world and what type of structure you are protecting and what level of risk you can accept.
 17 October 2012 02:42 PM

MAXMIRA

I would be interested in knowing how you go about testing lightning systems?
 12 November 2012 11:52 AM

theprotagonist

Lightning can strike anywhere. The lightning protection system doesn't prevent lightning from string but it only help to control the and preventing too much damage.

06 February 2013 08:25 AM

JakeRoll

You cannot predict when will lightning strike. Your lightning protection systems needs to be approved by the international agency standards if its really effective and economic.
 09 February 2013 09:19 AM

dlane

Originally posted by: MAXMIRA

I would be interested in knowing how you go about testing lightning systems?

In my opinion it is more of a visual inspection to check for the location and security of the lightning conductors.

The only test I would really expect to see what be testing of the earth rod, I guess joints can be tested with a milliohm meter and continuity of conductors tested if desired.

Kind regards

Donald Lane
 12 November 2013 03:37 PM

olarinoye

If this could still help, It is recommended that the Lightning Protection System should be tested at a max. interval of 12 months (BS 6651, BS EN 62305).
Practically, depending on the sensitivity of the facility/building protected, the frequency of test could be increased such as Data Centers. It is also advisable to carry out the test just before the normal high frequency period for your location and just after the period, also depending on the sensitivity of the building protected.

Test to be carried out are Visual inspection, Continuity and earth resistance testing.

Regards
 02 December 2013 07:16 PM

kengreen

I am reminded of an inexperienced man sent out to do measurements on vhf signal distributions. on his return he described his uncanny experience when he climbed to the top of a water tower seeking a "nice clean signal". He described an odd sensation of having cobwebs all over his face!

As far as I'm concerned the only tests to make on lightning protectors is called "distance".

Ken Green
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.