Increase font size
Topic Title: Home Networking
Topic Summary:
Created On: 17 April 2012 05:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 17 April 2012 05:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

haguetim

Why is it not manditory for all new builds and when building renovation is carried out that CAT5 or Fibre is installed in each room, at the build stage it would cost peanuts and would aid the integration of the smart grid and in home networking.

Is it standard UK short sightedness perhaps?
 18 April 2012 09:08 AM

ectophile

The trouble I see is that CAT5 is already being replaced by CAT6 for fixed wiring as people transition from 100M to 1Gbit networking.

Within a few years, we'll be wanting 10Gbit networks and the old CAT5 will be useless.

It would be better to run conduits, or trunking hidden behind the skirting boards, so that people can install whatever they want.

-------------------------
S P Barker BSc PhD MIET
 18 April 2012 05:13 PM

haguetim

Hi, yes I knew about the CAT 6, just couldn't remember. I brought up the subject with BIS in relation to the in home PLT debate and they said `it would add to much to the cost of a house', which I thought was ludicrous, but mind you being spoken by a politician not suprising.

Tim Hague MIET, MIEEE
 19 April 2012 11:43 AM

burn

More and more people use wifi nowadays. As well as PCs, laptops, tablets and phones, most internet TVs can be connected wirelessly.
Home data cabling will probably become history within a few years.

burn
 19 April 2012 01:26 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: burn

More and more people use wifi nowadays. As well as PCs, laptops, tablets and phones, most internet TVs can be connected wirelessly.
At an extortionate cost for a "Wirelss Dongle" from a number of leading manufacturers (>£50, some >£75).

Home data cabling will probably become history within a few years.
Not with the poor reliability of Wireless Routers, including interference issues, that a number of people experience regularly.

The "wireless revolution" was supposed to be happening 8-10 years ago, but still my main computing devices, TV/BD Player are connected "wired" (much to the annoyance of Mrs Kenyon), because of this.

The worst problem we have (also affects DTV reception) is switching OFF of certain CFLs in our house (whereas Fluorescents are never a problem).

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET
 19 April 2012 05:23 PM

haguetim

Graham, that is exactly my point. Wireless can be flaky, PLT interferes with DAB, Band 2 and shortwave and now concerns are being raised by the medical guys regarding the rich harmonic content of these products. Surely it makes sense to bite the bullit and just wire houses. It could be done at the same time as the mains wiring..., why not fibre?
 19 April 2012 05:30 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: haguetim
why not fibre?
What's the point - domestic devices at the moment won't use it for some time, without costly adaptors that is. Add to that the issues with termination and installation costs, not sure that today is the day. But maybe in 5-10 years' time?

Come to think of it, CAT5 and CAT6 installations may also be costly for Domestic: when you take into account testing and certification (i.e. getting someone to do it properly so you can achieve the stated data-rates).

20 April 2012 01:23 PM

haguetim

So we, as engineers let the public struggle with variable wireless, dirty PLT and home CAT wiring rather than biting the bullet and wiring houses..

Oh well, typical UK attitudes.
 20 April 2012 04:33 PM

gkenyon

Originally posted by: haguetim

So we, as engineers let the public struggle with variable wireless, dirty PLT and home CAT wiring rather than biting the bullet and wiring houses..

No, that's not what I said.

I said it's not feasible based on the cost in the UK to get it done properly, plus the fact that technology is in flux so if you legislate for something, it'll be out of date when you sneeze.

That's the travesty - along with feeling the need to legislate for everything - see below

Oh well, typical UK attitudes.
It's a typical UK attitude to legislate for absolutely everything, rather than leaving people free choice, and the ability to use their own common-sense.

Further, it's typical of UK attitudes to permit companies to charge the earth for legislative compliance (things you HAVE to have), whilst still failing to do the job properly.

It is these three basic issues why I would not support making this "mandatory" - which inevitably means "legislation".

17 May 2012 12:20 PM

buildingangel

Originally posted by: ectophile

The trouble I see is that CAT5 is already being replaced by CAT6 for fixed wiring as people transition from 100M to 1Gbit networking.

Within a few years, we'll be wanting 10Gbit networks and the old CAT5 will be useless.

It would be better to run conduits, or trunking hidden behind the skirting boards, so that people can install whatever they want.

I agree, but People would be using CAT 10 by the time 10Gbit comes up.

Roofing Services
 07 October 2012 05:10 AM

Trevor19

Technical aside isn't this the way now to convince all and sundry "what they need" rather than common sense. These are promoted by not only the Goverments of the world but self interested groups.
In a lot of issues today "marketing" has been the drive whether it is actually beneficial or not eg light globes - green?? My experience has been a huge increase in cost of the purchases and the life of most globes is far short of the originals, that become outlawed.
In Australia at least.
 15 October 2012 07:08 AM

fullcircleltd

Hi everyone,

I am agree with burn that today more and more people use wifi network. It remove wire problem. but many people also use cat 10 do to speed service. it is fast network.
 24 October 2012 05:09 AM

Swimming

Hi Guys, yes we are in a changing universe.. Nothing stays the same..What the mind can conceive the hands can achieve.. so a wise person correctly stated..One day probably we will not even need wiifi... It was not that long ago if you mentioned what we take for granted today you would be marched off to the "funny farm".
 05 February 2013 06:37 AM

fullcircleltd

Hi everyone,

I want to known which is best for network cat6 or cat10.
 05 February 2013 06:55 PM

SKElectrical

Originally posted by: fullcircleltd

I want to known which is best for network cat6 or cat10.

Hi I've never even heard of cat 10 !
I have just wired a large house using cat 6 ftp, as per customer's wish.
Cat 6 is designed for gigabit use whereas Cat 5 is not.
What many people don't understand is that a system will work as fast as the slowest device. And domestic routers cant handle this transmission rate by any means. Currently it makes no sense to wire using Cat 6 in a domestic environment as the only real advantage to Cat 6 is its ability to transmit data over 200m.

If you're transmitting CCTV for example in a commercial environment then Cat6 FTP solid core is a good call.
 05 February 2013 07:44 PM

jakegreenland

I've seen reference to the TIA Cat 8 draft spec but we're some ways from Cat 10 yet.

Also Cat 5 is fully capable of handling gigabit ethernet - it's the minimum spec to do so in fact. Cat 6/6a can handle 10Gig but that would be really getting absurd [and expensive] in the domestic environment right now. 1000BaseT will be more than sufficient for the average home NAS [and way more than the wireless or internet connection will deliver] so no real need to put anything else in unless you want to throw money away.

Jake Greenland, CEng MIET.
CCIE #22595
 28 March 2013 03:00 AM

laptopfullcare

Hi I've never even heard of cat 10 !
I have just wired [url=Link removed]a[/url] large house using cat 6 ftp, as per customer's wish.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.