Topic Title: 2391 exam
Topic Summary: Not the usual type of exam questions
Created On: 16 March 2006 11:33 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 June 2007 05:08 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

lexie

Hi mate, I took my 2391 Exam on 15th March and studied past exam papers like mad, and bought a disc off Ebay (waste of time and money) I learned all the calculations, just to find that none of the Calcs were in the Exam!. I passed and the best advice I can give you is know your GN3 & On site Guide inside out. On our paper we had lots of questions on Bathroom Installlations and IP ratings. Must admit thought I had failed but there you go.
 20 June 2007 02:46 PM

mknibbs

If possible I would like to get the opinion from the pool of people in here who have taken the 2391.

I have a good theoretical knowledge of electronics from a degree I took some years ago but I am now looking to become a full time electrician. Yes, I am bored in the post dot com era!

Now, I have almost no electrical testing experience and wondered if I would actually be able to pass this course given the focus on BS7671. I am planning to attend one of the compressed course and do 2381 2391 and a a 3 day hands on testing course. If anyone has any thoughts on these then I would really appreciate it. My main concern is that people assume you are safe if you have passed and without being able to get the testing experience who can you be. Perhaps this is why the format of the exams have changed. Clearly, if I am to become an electrician then safety has to be the first priority!

Thanks

Martinknibbs@yahoo.co.uk
 21 June 2007 12:16 PM

gkenyon

2381 you should be able to pick up OK if you have an aptitude for electrical and a broad knowledge of installations.

2391, would depend on how familiar you are with installations (including 3-phase). If you've practically come across these and worked on them, and have knowledge of products, techniques, methods etc., then this goes some way to helping with the 2391

-------------------------
Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
 21 June 2007 01:33 PM

wertyu

hello mate 2391 was quite hard i have experience plus level 3 elec install quals this is hardest test yet weird format involving them describing and giving plan of a complete installation and you describing to the letter of the law methods of testing it.would also tell you to be careful if you are thinking of quiting job to go alone,have a look in your local papers plus yellow pages,since part p there has been a massive increase in competitors who have only had 1 weeks training,the money is not there anymore plus the pay for a qualified electrician is now lower than certain warehouse operatives jobs.think carefully before you risk it like i did,i have now spent over £10.000 on van insurance part p 2381 2391 plus adverts and it has not paid pff yet.
 31 October 2007 11:37 AM

gazzam

hi all
i am starting the 2391 on friday ,could anyone please help me out with some old test papers?
thanks garry
my e-mail is gazza_m@blueyonder.co.uk
 19 February 2008 03:06 PM

gazzam

passed and sooo chuffed
 25 February 2008 10:04 PM

sos

hi ady,
I know what you mean mate about studying so hard for exam and then finding the paper infront of you not what you revised.
I am sitting my exam for the second time and need all the help i can get..
do you have any past exam questions and answers you can send..if so please send to kameronsky6@hotmail.co.uk
from steve
 04 April 2008 08:35 AM

tombazzer

If your sitting 2391 in the near future you just must check out www.britanniatraining.net

There is loads of free info and 3 FREE 2391 exam papers with answers to download.

I would not have passed the 2391 without help from this site.

Check it out and decide for yourself

Tom
 15 April 2008 10:25 PM

AlexMc

Sorry for the essay but just a few points that I've found out before and after my 2391.

I think prior to 2006 Brian Scadden used to write all the exams for the guilds, but he retired and then Trevor Linsley (his apprentice if you like) took over. The style of questions was so far away from what the colleges and institutes used to teach that the pass marks went to about 20%. Guilds had to get Scadden back as there was such a backlash against them, and so him and Linsley now co write them.
But emphasis of the exam is on Guidance Notes 3. If you know that book inside out your laughing. Past questions have included the test instruments design specification ie
low-resistance ohmmeters should be 4-24v and 200mA (pg85 GN3)

The chief examiner has told colleges that they should not use pass papers as a study guide as candidates maybe disappointed that they don't reflect the exam they're going to sit. So thats another reason for questions don't add up.

I recently sat my 2391 (13th March). Part A had some ambiguous questions, but at Level 3 the Guilds aren't given this exam away. The scenario in Part B was a two storey house that converted downstairs into a shop. All the information required was given and fairly straight forward.

This exam is the toughest as it's precise in what it's topic is. I know as I've sat my 2330 lvl 2 & now lvl 3 my 2381 (16th) and now my 2392 (17th) all exams undertaken within the last 2 yrs. Its meant to differentiate the cowboys from hardworking sparks. If it was easy anyone could do it including that fella from the pub!

Also there are the legal implications:
"To achieve compliance with the legal requirements of the Electricity at Work Regulations 1989 requires proof that an electrical system is safe, which involves amongst other things, proper inspection and testing of a system by competent people and the creation and maintenance of records". Which makes the test certificates part of the law!

Hope that helps anyone out with why it's the way it is?!?
 15 May 2008 08:24 PM

doubleaced

hi im due to take my 2391 testing course has any one got any past papers for me to have a look at and give me a little clue to what im heading for thanks email addy is doubleaced@hotmail.com
 04 October 2008 12:37 AM

bigtom

hi the problem is the marking of exam papers
city & guilds dont mark the papers anymore they are
sent up north and are marked by doctors solicitors
& people that has never been in the industry they are given
spread sheets and if your answers are not exactly to the spread sheet your results come back as a fail i passed my practical with flying colours and i sat my written twice
and failed both times i have been testing for over 12 years i know the regs very well i took the 17th edition
the 5th june and passed no problem has any one out there
had problems passing the 2391
 04 October 2008 08:58 PM

jockspark

hi i have my 2391 starting on 8th of january any passed papers or advise would be more than welcome
patspark@hotmail.com
 19 October 2008 12:17 PM

Amaia

Originally posted by: tombazzer

If your sitting 2391 in the near future you just must check out Link removed

There is loads of free info and 3 FREE 2391 exam papers with answers to download.

I would not have passed the 2391 without help from this site.

Check it out and decide for yourself

Tom

Hi mate,

Brittania Training have had to remove the specimen exam papers, I dont suppose you have a copy of any of them do you? It would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks Mate,

Ami
 19 October 2008 08:42 PM

jockspark

http://www.djtelectraining.co.uk/questions.htm
hi have a look at this it may be helpfull
 24 October 2008 06:22 PM

Amaia

Hi there,

Thanks very much, I'll give it a go! Cheers Again
 12 November 2008 06:56 PM

ricewind

Hi going to be sitting my 2391-10 exam in December and i was wondering, as my spelling and grammer is not fantastic
will this make this exam harder to pass.

I have taken your advise on downloading loads of paper and my teacher at collage is giving us the C&G sample papers and answer to work from i will try and scan them into my laptop. if any one is intrested for them. the anwser section seems to explain what the examiers are looking for.
 19 March 2009 03:16 PM

inghamgarry

can you help me with some 2391 past papers my adress.inghamgarry'YAHOO.CO.UK
 25 April 2009 12:07 PM

Windwild

I don't quite understand the above statement - the City & Guilds 2391-1 examination is for experienced electricians

Surely its better to do the exam before you go getting experience testing electrical installations. How do you know if the "experienced electrician" knows how to do testing correctly if he has not passed the 2391-1 exam ?. Who would let you go testing unqualified anyway, anyone can say Ive got 10 years experience.
 09 June 2009 08:37 AM

MauricePinner

As regards the 2391 and experience, you are expected to gain experience of testing prior to attempting the exam. This could be by working with an experienced tester.
I agree that exam questions can be very ambiguous, and this should be addressed, but a good knowledge of principles and Guidance Note 3/On Site Guide should get you through. Remember that this exam is testing your understanding of the testing process to prove that you can do it safely and correctly identify problems. Trying to pass it by using "exam techniques" is wrong. You should not attempt the exam unless you have sufficient understanding and knowledge to test safely.
Rather than concentrating on past papers, concentrate on understanding GN3 and get some practice in!
 10 June 2009 05:31 PM

justiceinvestigator

Those that are hunting for some guidance, may find the following official document of some assistance.

Exam Success : Inspection and Testing 2391-10
Published by City & Guilds and IEE
ISBN: 978-0-86341-899-0
Not expensive!

I do agree with previous posters otherwise though; the exam requires knowledge and understanding, not endless cramming from previous papers.

Regards.

-------------------------
-----------------------------------------------------
www.totalelectricaltraining.com
www.totalcommstraining.com
IET » Student and apprentice discussion forum » 2391 exam

<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Topic Tools Topic Tools
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.