IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: How to test to EN61010
Topic Summary: What is a pragmatic method of carrying out the 2kV insulation test.
Created On: 21 March 2014 11:45 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 21 March 2014 11:45 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

D Richard Kerr

As part of EN61010 [Safety requirements for electrical equipment for measurement, control and laboratory use], there is a requirement to insulation test the product to 2kV. Briefly, the recommendation for conducting the test is to place the unit on an insulation mat, wear large rubber gauntlets/gloves, have two people present, etc. Some of these are more practical than others, and some would give us other issues such as manual handling.
Does anyone on the forum have any experience of conducting these tests in a practical way, and how do you do it to ensure the safety of your personnel?
Thanks
 21 March 2014 12:27 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

amillar

When you say "the recommendation for conducting the test" - whose recommendation? I have never noticed this in 61010, and having another look through now I can't find anything like this. Are their some clauses I haven't noticed?

But coming back to the main question: we 100% test many of our products to 2kV isolation, without the use of gauntlets, two members or staff or a safety net. It is just a matter of investing in (or hiring for a one-off) the correct test equipment which will come with safety probes, and ensuring the operator is suitably trained - i.e. told not to touch the equipment during the test!

Actually although we typically have used 61010 in the past for our LVD compliance we tend to prove this by inspection of creepage and clearance distance rather than by type test (which only proves that one example product passed, not that all production units with all tolerances and contamination will pass). As said above though, we do routinely flash test anyway for other reasons (functional safety rather than H&S).

Hope this helps.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.