Increase font size
Topic Title: Maintenance apprentice, advice wanted
Topic Summary:
Created On: 19 January 2014 11:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 January 2014 11:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Lizzie

Hello! So I was recently very very lucky to have gained a maintenance apprenticeship with a water company. I have no previous experience in any form of engineering or even DIY!!! It must have been my "go get 'em" attitude and dazzling personality (haha)

Anyways, my job is part of a pump workshop, where pumps from within the company are sent, and we are required to fix them. I'm thoroughly enjoying it so far, but I keep beating myself up about a few things.

A month or two ago a small job came on and I was asked if I wanted to have a go at doing it on my own. I tested it, drained it, stripped it and got as far as I could no problems, then we had to order new parts which can take some time. A month later it came to putting the thing back together, and with some help from my mentor I got it done. Tested it and it all worked fine (woo hoo!) problem was we found a part on the floor that I had forgotten to put back in. I was told it wasn't an essential part of the pump and it would still work just fine without it. But I cant help but be a bit annoyed at myself for leaving it out. (It would have taken several hours if not a day or two to take the pump apart and build it again with the part in)

So my question is...Does anyone have any advice on how to keep track of parts? Is writing it down step by step as I take them apart the best way of keeping track? It can be quite hard to keep a piece of paper clean in the workshop, and taking a glove on and off can be a chore.

Any advice appreciated!

Lizzie
 19 January 2014 09:14 PM

peteTLM

Welcome.
id probably make up a tray (plywood or similar) divided into different compartments. drop each part in and then label the box with a description of where it came from. If you have an exploded diagram available, you could reference it to that as well.
Use and label the bits in logical order in which they were stripped off. Outer bolts, cover screws, inner screws etc etc.

Good luck.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 20 January 2014 12:35 PM

kengreen

Hallo Lizzie,

I'm sure that is an experience we have all sufferred.

The only cure is to cultivate a tidy mind and always work to YOUR routine. It is something that you must work out for yourself a.k.a. experience.
Try to see that you never make the same mistake twice.

Ken Green
 30 January 2014 04:08 PM

benmc

just tray them in order but we all have done it, count your self lucky once i come out of my time myself and another trades man had an apprentice on some 415v deck sockets for cranes, we had isolated and locked off... went for dinner and came back, before we had chance to even test the socket again as we had went away and came back, the apprentice was straight on there with his 15mm socket and ratchet releasing the terminals, had to go through the process with him why it was a bad idea!

but we all do things like that it kind of comes with experience
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.