IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Should I learn another language? Final year Beng electrical electronic engineering
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 November 2013 01:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 November 2013 01:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sidera3142

Hello All

My first post here!

I was thinking of learning another language. Do employers like the fact that you can speak another language? I am currently studying final year Beng electrical electronic engineering at Derby uni. I was thinking of learning a language were there is a good industry in my subject such as; German, Chinese or Japanese ? My idea was that if I had another language, when in employment, I could be sent to do work overseas? .....always had a dream of doing some traveling!

Thanks
 30 November 2013 06:43 PM

kengreen

Hello,

You have waited a fair time without a reply? Maybe some of the following remarks may help?

The ability to speak/understand more than one language must always be an advantage especially as it is reckoned to be a good training for the brain; but of course it is the most useful when your language skills lie in the most-used of languages.

The "languages of science" are broadly English, German and (perhaps) French and Russian and amongst the catch-up brigade Chinese. However Chinese and Japanese are even more difficult to master than English!

If you can master your second language to a sufficient standard there is always work as a translator of technical documents. The difference between a translator and an interpreter is that the last has to work in "real time" and be very familiar with the idioms of both languages and their technical jargon - that is a rare skill.

It goes without saying however that to be successful as a translator you must be capable in both languages and in the science/engineering which, like music, is universal. If you seek a new employer you need to know where his main export markets lie and be confident that you can hold your own both in the new language and in the technical details that you are required to impart. I believe that the fastest-growing scientific areas are in China and (in the IT world) India but I also believe that both countries have problems with multiple dialects?

Probably the most difficult of all is to master American; a certain Mister Webster set himself to create a language, based on English, that would be unique to Americans - and I believe that he succeeded; even the Americans seem to have difficulty in expressing themselves!

Assignments overseas are not by any means unusual but you will have to be very sure of yourself because you will be seen as a representative of your Company.

Your first requirement is to become confident in your branch of engineering, in both theory and practice, and in conversational skills.

Ken Green
 03 December 2013 11:47 PM

sidera3142

Thank you Ken, this helped me a lot.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.