IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: (OFFSHORE/OIL) CAREER PATHS FOR AN ENGINEERING GRADUATE KEEN ON TRAVELLING
Topic Summary: Engineering careers that require extensive and frequent travel and free time
Created On: 09 October 2013 10:07 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 October 2013 10:07 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

pse21

Hi all,

I have just graduated in aerospace/mechanical engineering from a pretty good UK university with a first Class.

I want to work in the oil industry coz I want to travel, have free time and money (why not) but I haven't quire got my head around all the different jobs, companies, subsectors of the oil & gas industry. If there is anyone here with any experience offshore or in any oil company, oil services company, contractors, constructors or whatever and can help me out that'd be great. If there is any other sector which I can work in with all the perks below other than oil n gas they are welcome as well.
What I am looking for:

1/ EXTENSIVE and FREQUENT travel. Meaning that I'd like to have international assignments of a few weeks or months in duration like a few days/weeks in an offshore/onland rig in the e.g. North Sea then to , say,the Middle East, then Africa etc. as opposed to long-term assignments of several weeks or months in a same location.

2/ Plenty of FREE TIME. By that I mean following some kind of rotation pattern such as 2/2, 2/3, 4/4 week shifts such as when working offshore.

3/ Do these things SOON rather than LATE. I'd like to start travelling from the relative beginning of my career I wouldn't like to be beating about the bush a few years because i am only planning to have a nomadic lifestyle while I am young! time is precious!

The positions I have discovered or though so far are:

- WELL ENGINEER (drilling). I don't know how much travel is actually required. I wouldn´t like to be stuck on the same rig for a long time (wells can take a long time to be drilled).I think you are employed by an oil company such as BP, shell, BG group...

- GENERAL FIELD ENGINEER in OIL SERVICE COMPANIES. So bieng a field engineer at Schlumberger, baker hughes, halliburton (which I believe they are more into driling and production and maintenance) but also Saipem which lays pipelines offshore. i don't know however how long the assignments would be (depending maybe on the exact role you're doing).

- EXPLORATION GEOPHYSICIST. Although I might have a somewhat unrelated degree I found out the data acquisition geophysicist job to be quite interesting but I don't know much about it honestly. I think mostly employed by oilfield service companies i.e. Schlumberger, baker hughes, CGG ...I think it involves hiking which I really enjoy! (maybe not when you're carrying 15kg worth of equipment, lol)

- MAINTENANCE/INSTALLATION ENGINEER of the countless equipments that an oil platform, refinery or plant has. I am thinking here of WOOD GROUP. So servicing/installing turbines might require extensive and frequent travel but I haven´t seen any explicit job/graduate scheme for that.

- Some role in the CONSTRUCTION COMPANIES that build/install platforms, refineries, plants etc. such as Foster Wheeler, CB&I . However I think assignement tend to be longer (6 month- 2 years) as it takes time for a plant to be complete (i was told by foster wheeler employee).

Thanks a lot for your comments!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.