Increase font size
Topic Title: Engineering companys in Devon
Topic Summary:
Created On: 27 September 2013 05:13 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 September 2013 05:13 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jimflounders1984

Having sent my CV to well over 20 companys this summer and only hearing back from 1 or 2, i was wondering if anyone knows of any Electrical Engineering companys that take on students on a part time basis. Im in my second year of a 3 year degree (Electrical/Electronic). Based in Torquay but can commute to Plymouth/Exeter. Im a time served Electrician but have no hands on Engineering experience, we have started to use PLCs as part of our course (primarily Schneider) and we are also using LabView, Veijio, MultiSim etc. It seems by browsing through jobs pages on a daily basis that experience is worth more than qualifications in a lot of places so getting some experience on my two days off a week seems like a great idea if i can get my foot in the door somewhere.
Any advice, recommended compnys i might not have heard of etc would be of great help and would be appreciated
Jim Flounders

Edited: 01 October 2013 at 07:49 PM by jimflounders1984
 28 September 2013 02:58 AM

kengreen

hello Jim,

I hate to pour cold water but I fear you are on a very sticky wicket in the West Country. You will not find any "big" companies because, in truth, Cornwall - and to some extent Devon - present serious problems.

The only businesses which prosper on those which "dig it out" and export: china clay and fisheries plus of course the dying holiday trade which in any event is no use to yourself. I know thAat there are some electrical/electronic businesses around but they most certainly will not be of sufficient size to help. Any manufacturing venture has to import its raw materials and then to export its finished products.

I believe that a major problem exists in the destruction of our railway system in favour of lorry transport for which silly reason a great deal of money, effort and land has been invested in building a road systeMm a major portion of Wwhich is badly under-used - of necessity.

Your best bet is to complete your education and then - GO EAST YOUNG MAN !.
 01 October 2013 05:11 PM

amillar

Or, as an alternative view...

There are not a huge number of companies in Devon employing undergraduates and graduates, but there are a few of us around (and yes, several of us do manufacture and export, very succesfully!). If you are after paid experience it might well be hard, because two days a week doesn't add much value to the company. But if you are prepared to ask for an internship (maybe to work on a specific problem) I would have thought you should have half a chance.

Keep browing the job sites to see who's taking on locally, but also the local news pages to see which companies are manufacturing - it doesn't have to be engineering, there are loads of e.g. food producers around here who are maintaining their own PLC based control systems. And perhaps ask if you can have a site visit even if they can't offer you anything now - they might like you so much that they offer you something anyway, or at least you might find you pick up a recommendation.

Don't be put off if you don't get a reply, just move on to the next company. Perhaps try again once after about a month. And you are definitely doing the right thing trying to find experience - you are quite right: a new graduate is not an engineer, and it is engineers most companies want. Particularly down here where, sadly, most companies don't have big enough teams to support training programmes.

However, do check how you are applying to them - e.g. you MUST make sure your spelling and grammer is spot on, even when you post a message on a forum - you might find firms less likely to take you on if you spell "engineer" wrong! It really matters, the feeling (rightly or wrongly) is "if they can't be bothered to check their application thoroughly, will they bother to check their work thoroughly?" (There are prabably spelling and grammer mistakes in this posting too, but then I'm not loooking for a job )

Finally, the Devon and Cornwall IET Local Network has just started its season of events, come along to a few and try and chat to a few people at pre-meeting refreshments - you never know, you might meet someone who knows someone who can help. (And hopefully you might enjoy the event too!) We are one of the more active LNs in the country, so there must be a few jobs around here!

Good luck.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 01 October 2013 05:35 PM

amillar

Here's a tip I just tried which seems to work well:

Go into LinkedIn, and go into the Advanced search at the top of the screen.

Search on the keyword "Engineer" and put in your postcode.

For me it came up with 8,210 results within 50 miles of my work postcode in Plymouth (although, to be fair, a handful of these were in France!).

Look at the companies these people work for and you'll get a good list of the companies around...

Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 01 October 2013 07:52 PM

jimflounders1984

Thanks for the advice, I haven't set up a LinkedIn account yet but that sounds like a good idea and i will keep my eye on the local events, any form of networking can only help.
Many thanks
Jim Flounders
 01 October 2013 10:24 PM

kengreen

Jim,

I sincerely hope that my previous post has not discouraged you?

I'm posting here to add my hearty approval to the advice from Andy Millar.

In partiCcular he is absolutely correct in his advice reference checking the integRrity of your CV. The disgraceful performance which you observe in my posts is becaUuse I have to rely on and extra ordinary application would "Dragon naturally sPpeaking". INn truth it's performance is unbelievable but unfortunately its roots lie in America and it is adamant that the English (UK) has it all wrong! !

Ken Green
 02 October 2013 07:39 PM

jimflounders1984

No discouragement at all Ken, I know what the south west is like being a tradesman in the area for 10 years. It just means having to look harder for work and put up with getting paid less than the rest of the country. I recently had my CV tweaked by a professional company and was hoping it might make a bit of difference.
Cheers guys
 02 November 2013 11:10 PM

JUSTINHOUGHTON

Hello Jim
Try "Bridges Ltd" Greendale Business Park, Woodbury Salterton, nr Exeter. They are a mechanical and electrical engineering contractor and this area office works primarily on the South West Water framework.
We had a graduate engineer working for us last year and have taken one on previously. Your experience with Schneider plc's could be of benefit as all new MCC's we install for SWW have Schneider M340 plc's in them.
I am not going to list any phone numbers on a forum but if you message me directly I can give you details of who to contact or alternatively you can google them.
Good luck in your searching.
 08 November 2013 02:38 AM

banthinghiem

The role includes investigation and hydraulic review of drainage networks; technical analysis... candidate must ensure accurate and efficient project delivery for internal and external clients. Responsible for: 1.Provide technical capability on Environmental and Drainage projects as part of a project team, including feasibility studies/ options development, asset performance assessments and reviews, report preparation, developing and maintaining good client relationships. 2.Assist the Senior Engineer in the management / co-ordination of projects, or act as Project Manager on smaller projects. 3.Provide guidance to, and manage the work of Graduate and Technicians working on the same projects.

System www. banthinghiem.com.vn provide furniture lab
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.