Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: What would my best route be?
Topic Summary: High Voltage Protection & Grading
Created On: 13 September 2013 06:19 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 13 September 2013 06:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 6
Joined: 13 September 2013

Hi my name is Daniel and i currently work for quite a big M & E company in the UK. I started as an apprentice electrician and then electrician then approved and now im working towards being a HV SAP. working alongside the current SAP's building up a portfolio and authorisation codes. To become a HV SAP i dont think im going to require any more qualifications but i would like to go down the protection and grading route. I self teach myself and have been working closely with the protection engineers and have learnt a great deal but i think i would benefit from a level 4 qualification and a HNC in electrical engineering to aid me to fully understand what i want to do.

is there anyone here that has done a similar thing? Does this for a living and has any advice? has done these courses and can point me in the right direction of where to do them and what HNC to apply for?

some guidance on this would be greatly appreciated

I live in the London area


Edited: 13 September 2013 at 06:30 PM by danielsemaj
 15 September 2013 12:51 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 521
Joined: 14 September 2010

It is not always the case that protection engineers are SAPs; in fact it is quite common for SAPs to issue safety documents to 'competent person' protection engineers.

Regarding HNC
HNCs are modular courses, so you would want to check that the HNC you enrol on contains a power systems protection module; or modules of other interest if you are thinking of doing something else.

It might be worth looking around for short courses on power systems protection, but I think the best training you can get will be 'on site' with an experienced protection engineer.

 16 September 2013 03:30 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message


Posts: 6
Joined: 13 September 2013


Thankyou for the reply. i am aware of that but in my situation i am currently working towards becoming SAP (currently AP) but i would like to do grading studys myself as i input protection settings already.

right i will look for one that contains that, yea i have seen a few DEvelop where i did my AP training do a design and grading course which i am proberly going to go on but just thought having a hnc would be benificial for me as thereis quite alot of maths involved etc.

Thanks for the info

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2016 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.