IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: University Degree, does it matter which university you goto?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 26 July 2013 03:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 26 July 2013 03:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

mallison359

I am about to start my HNC in engineering Systems. I will be applying to various universities but the qualification will get me into 1st year at some and 2nd year entry with others. Many of the more 'prestigious' universities are a little less forgiving, they require allot more entry which will take my education longer.

I am already a mature student and whilst I would love to go to one of the more well known universities the chances are I will be going to a smaller university for my degree.

When it comes to employment, does it really make a difference where you achieved the degree or is a degree no better than another?

Cheers Michael
 04 August 2013 04:17 PM

martra

Hi Micheal,

I followed that path of doing a HNC Engineering Systems and degree. I had also been offered 2nd year entry at one of the universities and joined a Russell Group university first year. This was enough of a challenge after working in industry. Am about to enter my final year of my MEng and also in the power academy with a DNO. In my experience it worth it and most students have also picked up sponsorship, but there are opportunities with companies to enter trainee engineer roles with a HNC.
 05 August 2013 12:53 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

kengreen

a straightforward answer to this question lies in the statement made on camera to a news programme by a member of the CBI: he said "don't send us any more graduates - they don't know anything, they can't add up and they don't know how to behave". WW11 prevented me from attending university but I have been assured sincethat I didn't miss anything. Frankly from my experience with "vacation students", I am not ithenclined to disagree. In any event you don't become of much use until a period of experience in a job.
 05 August 2013 05:43 PM

amillar

I would worry less about the name of the university and more about

a) the likelihood that you'll get a decent grade in your degree, and

b) the applicability of your degree studies to your industry.

Point b) is all about choosing the right course, and an advantage you have as a mature student is that you have a good chance of understanding the relevance of one course compared to another - they're all different, and it is a case of which one will work for where YOU want to be in a few years time.

Point a) is harder. If the Uni takes you on in Year 2, are you going to struggle because you've missed subjects the other students have done? For example maths can be a particular problem here. You may (in fact, almost certainly will) find you end up with a better degree grade by going to a Uni that starts you in Year 1. But, assuming you don't have infinite money and time available, you may actually find you have little real choice, in which case you need to make sure that the Uni you choose is experienced in converting HNC to degree and has a sensible plan for remedial and catch-up programmes. I have to say that a few years ago we put several of our ex-apprentices through exactly this process (HNC/D into 2nd year of degree), and generally they did very well - sometimes extremely well - but they did find it hard work.

But back to your original question, the only cases I have come across where the Uni name may make a difference are where you plan either to leave engineering and get a job in the city or to get a job in a contract research organisation. My impression is that for 99.9% of graduate engineering jobs the important points are just to get a good grade in a relevant degree.

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 06 August 2013 10:33 AM

amillar

P.S. It may also be worth looking at using the IET Mentoring scheme http://www.theiet.org/membersh...er/mentoring/index.cfm

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 07 August 2013 10:09 PM

martra

I can confirm everything Andy has written and found out as a mature student going to uni from a HNC route.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.