Increase font size
Topic Title: BEng Top up degree from a HND Electrical Engineering
Topic Summary: BEng Top up degree from a HND Electrical Engineering
Created On: 02 September 2012 06:59 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 September 2012 06:59 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

danc2188

Hi all,

I am starting my HND Electrical Engineering this September, after gaining funding from my company to do so. However during this meeting i was also told that gaining my BEng/ Degree after completing this course may be something of a problem as i will be expected to take on a larger work load, although looking into doing such a top up in my own time may be an option, this to me says Distance Learning/ Open University, of which i have no clue about.

I am aware that this may sound like early doors to some but i would rather plan now for completing my HND and goin onto my degree rather than wait to complete and then have only a matte of weeks to research and begin a Degree level top up.

If anyone has any information on this subject i would be extremely grateful to have any of it passed on to me.

Thank you for your time.

Regards

Dan

-------------------------
ipsa scientia potestas est
 04 September 2012 09:42 PM

sfoster59

Hi Dan,

I would say that you should take the opportunity to complete your BEng as soon as possible. Ask yourself whether you're worried about the workload - if so, then the degree itself may be too much. You've got to accept that, as a degree-qualified engineer, you must step up to the mark. This means more work, longer hours and generally more difficult issues to deal with on a daily basis. On the other hand, you'll be better paid, better respected and more than likely enjoy your job even more - the kind of person that gains their degree, is the kind of person who loves the challenge of engineering!

Don't get me wrong, the BEng is no walk-over. But getting it done sooner rather than later will pay off - you'll be able to get it out the way and look forward to maybe taking a few years off education before pondering an MEng/MSc/Professional Development to CEng or simply working.

The choice is yours and it's down to your own personal judgement. Perhaps consider talking to some careers departments at your local college, or even at the universities you're thinking of going to. Quite often they'll be willing to discuss your own personal scenario and do their best to give all the options available.

All the best in your future studies.

Sam Foster
IET Schools Liaison - South Yorkshire Local Network
 05 September 2012 07:17 PM

danc2188

Hi Sam (sfoster59),

Thank you very much for your reply. really appreciate the advice.

I will take a look into the options you have listed.

Thanks again.

Dan

-------------------------
ipsa scientia potestas est
 29 October 2013 08:18 AM

gtgshiran

Dear Sir/Madam,
Could you please kindly advice me regarding start my studies in BEng in Electrical and Electronics (Communication) Engineering TOP UP program. I wants to get the direct entry in to Final year direct entry as i recently completed my Ed-excel HND In Electrical and Electronics (Communication) Engineering. I wants to know the best University in London, UK who's providing a BEng Electrical & Electronic Engineering related to Communication top up Degree program in Jan/Feb 2014.

If you all suggest or provide me a list of universities to select would be highly appreciated.
Thank You,
Shiran.
 31 October 2013 08:25 AM

benmc

Hi dan,

i went hnc then degree route i would suggest doing hnc then hnd/foundation then topping up to degree try and get on a proper degree course rather than the "top up" courses as some of them are not accredited still, I was part time throughout and i was kind of lucky as I ploughed through my ONC in a year and the HND/Foundation (1year) nocks 2 years off your degree so saved a year there also (Turned out i was only one year later than people in my school year to finish the degree full time yet i have site experience etc) the benefit to going hnc / hnd degree route as well is presentation skills, i.e also helps with interview process i found... if you want any other info just PM me

Ben
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.