IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Training to become an Engineer?
Topic Summary: advice on what to do
Created On: 27 August 2012 06:04 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 27 August 2012 06:04 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

acerimmer

Hi i am thinking of studing to become an engineer and was thinking of taking a Bachelor of Engineering (Honours) with the OU, is this a good degree to take in terms of engineering.

I currently work full time for an engineering company but only in a general admin role and am looking to further my opportunities as i cant seem to move on within my company. I am 32 and have not studied since i left school but was gonna take my a GCSE maths to brush up my knowledge before i begin
 27 August 2012 07:30 PM

mbirdi

At 32 I think you've left it a bit too late. By the time you complete your engineering degree and achieve any form of valuable experience, you'll be competing with engineers half your age and twice as smart.

The quickest way is for you to go through the BTEC route. I.e ONC followed by HNC. The ONC will cover subjects, including Maths at GCSE in the earlier stages. So you don't need to do any more GCSEs.

Try and get your employer to pay for your part-time studies. If they agree they might even offer you apprentiship or training.

Good luck.
 27 August 2012 08:28 PM

westonpa

You would need A level standard maths for starting an engineering degree. At 32 now you will likely be around 38 by the time you finish the degree with the OU and that is getting on a bit for starting a career in engineering. I would suggest you take a look at COLU http://www.tees.ac.uk/schools/sse/tuol/entry.cfm and take their entry maths course and the follow a HNC route. The HNC is equivalent to the 1st year of the degree. This way you can start when you want and proceed one or two units at a time and if you do not get on with it you will not have wasted too much of your resources. If things go well then choose your units wisely and complete your HNC and then transfer onto a degree course and get a credit transfer on your units.

If you are already working for an engineering company then it may well assist you with some of your learning and with regards to a project.

Regards.
 01 September 2012 10:04 PM

grindy

I wouldn't say you had left it too late. It very much depends on your previous experience and what exactly you want to achieve and where exactly you want to go. I would recommend speaking to your boss and asking if they will provide any help in gaining further qualifications. An HNC would be a good place to start and some places also provide an entry maths course. An HNC can help open many doors.
 04 September 2012 10:07 PM

sfoster59

Acerimmer,

Forget about leaving it too late - it's your life!!

You have left it at 'just the right time'. The best thing to do though is discuss your options with a local college - decide whether you're willing to do full-time or part-time and to what extent you can push yourself (you might want to do a two-year course over four-years...so what if you do?! You'll benefit in the long-run from better wages and a more interesting job!)

Just make sure you talk to a local careers advisor first - they'll help you work out a structured plan for your own personal development.

Wishing you all the best.

Sam Foster
Schools Liaison Officer - South Yorkshire Local Network
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.