IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Considering enrolling onto a HNC course, worried about employability after
Topic Summary:
Created On: 18 June 2012 10:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 June 2012 10:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

EXCROUPIER

I am 24 years old with a background in sales but in a nutshell I hate my job and am looking for a career change.

I'm not keen on going to uni as it takes too long and I'm not so young anymore.

My question is after I complete this course how difficult would it be to find work in electrical engineering seeing as I have no hands on experience?

If so what sort of salary could I expect?

Any general advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
 22 June 2012 07:15 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

Have a chat with some technical staff agencies, I am sure they will advise you what empoyers are likely to be looking for and who they already have on their books, i.e., your competition.

HNC was originally put together for people to complete part time over two years in which time they would be expected to be working and gaining practical experience. ONC was much the same. The diploma courses we/are full time and thus provide aspects which compensate for the lack of experience. It is not always exactly like this but that is the basic idea.

By the time you would have finished the HNC the economies could be better or worse and so you should only take today's advice as a guide. If you do a part time HNC and do not give up your full time job then of course you have nothing to lose but the monies spent on your studies. But if you like engineering then that will not be a waste and if you chose correctly it could also represent the first year of degree/HND study should you then decide to study full time.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.