Increase font size
Topic Title: Electrician -> Electrical Engineer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09 June 2012 10:27 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09 June 2012 10:27 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jameswsblackburn

I am currently half way through my Electrical Installation Apprenticeship, after i have completed this i would eventually like to be qualified in electrical engineering. I know there is a set courses to become one, However i really don't have any clue what courses you need or anything! i was just wondering if anyone could enlighten me or let me know if there is any night courses i could do to help me become qualified? or if you have made the change from electrician to engineer could you possibly share your career path? i live in the south east of england if anyone knows any courses around this area.
Thanks.
 09 June 2012 04:08 PM

Gruff

The obvious choice would be an HNC in Electrical Engineering. Then HND...then degree... and as far as you wish to go.

The HN qualifications are highly regarded in industry. They are vocational (to an extent) but also academically quite challenging, so you'll need to be prepared to get stuck into the text books and work hard, particularly on your maths if you're like most of us and not gifted in that area. An appropriate HNC/D would give you a very solid foundation in electrical engineering, and, combined with the valuable practical training from your sparky apprenticeship, should allow you to steer your career down any number of different and interesting paths.

Is there an academic study element to your current apprenticeship?

Your local colleges will almost certainly offer HNC/D course in electrical engineering, typically on a one day per week release basis. Alternatively, there are distance learning options available from providers such as Teeside University, or the intensive blended method available at University Centre , Blackburn College.

Just shout up if you have more questions, there are plenty here who have followed this route and who would be happy to offer advice and encouragement.

Edited: 09 June 2012 at 04:16 PM by Gruff
 26 June 2012 09:44 PM

bobdavies22

totally agree with Gruff, HNC is the way to go. I'm just finishing mine now but I'm doing Building Services Engineering (Electrical) rather than straight Electrical Engineering, worth considering for you as an Electrician (like myself) because the subject matter within the units will be very familiar so you will not be out of your depth, not that you should be put off doing an Electrical /Electronics HNC if you're good with that stuff! In my building services HNC the electrical units were really good.
From september last year the HNC is changing a little, there are 8 mandatory units instead of ten, meaning that you don't strictly have to do the maths unit, I think that's a little bit insane but there you go, if you want to continue to degree you'll need it.
all the best.
 26 June 2012 09:51 PM

bobdavies22

.......and if you're in London, the College of North West London (where I went) and the City anf Westminster College both run the building services HNC, Southbank University do HND/BEng. I've seen that Carshalton college do an Electrotechnical Industries Foundation Degree, looks like it might be good.
 05 July 2012 01:58 PM

sfoster59

James,

This is something I actually did. Having left school at 16, I carried out a 4 year modern apprenticeship, followed by 2-year HNC, then onto my MEng degree...

Most universities will take you with a HNC in electrical/electronic engineering, providing you acheive distinctions in the analytical modules.

It's a hard road to take, however I now work in the nuclear, oil & gas sector, and I can tell you it's well worth the hard work, not to mention the 'university experience' and the cracking degree you'll get at the end!

Good luck,

Sam Foster
IET Schools Liason Office South Yorkshire Network
 05 July 2012 07:26 PM

martra

I also have taken the same path as Sam and highly recommend it, also I will confirm it's hard work. Also am only half way threw my MEng but hoping my experience will help me threw the future modules. Also quite a few power companies offer trainee engineer roles.

Good Luck,

Martin
 15 July 2012 09:25 PM

adamtaylor

Hi,

I do agree with everyone pushing you to do your HNC in electrical engineering, but maybe you should look into doing your ONC first (Which is the qualification before the HNC). This obviously depends on how much you know about electrical engineering and other related subjects.

I started my advanced apprentership off with a ONC in electrical engineering and it was a great starting point.

I wish you the best of luck!

-------------------------
Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.