IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: National Grid Engineer Training Program people?
Topic Summary: Information on this course please
Created On: 14 May 2012 09:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 May 2012 09:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jamie3009

I have applied for this course due to the fact that I enjoy practical work as well as academic work and that there is payment and the chance of a job at the end of it. I also chose this as i am not sure whether I want to go to uni or not. I wish to go into the power industry and therefore thought that this would be a good entry route. Has anyone already done this programme who could tell me what sort of prospects for career progression are available at the end of the programme and whether people have struggled to progress onwards and upwards after completion. I wish to move quite high up through the ranks during my career and want to know whether this programme will allow me to do this. The qualification available is an FdEng in electrical systems engineering which can then be upgraded to a BEng and MSc in Professional engineering (power systems) at Aston University. I am just not sure whether going to uni for a degree would be better or if i would have an equal chance of progression with both methods? Sorry for rambling
 17 May 2012 08:18 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Jonni1987

Hi Jamie,

I took the route you have taken, not necessarily with the National Grid Eng training, but i completed a 3 and a half year apprenticeship, with 18 months based on a sponsoring site. The technical area that i went into was electrical and instrumentation.
I did find myself in the same situation as you are by the sounds of things, university or apprenticeship. I chose the apprenticeship, and it was the best decision I could have made. I now have full time employment at a manufacturing site, where they are paying for me to attend university for a part time electrical and electronic engineering degree, with the hope to also complete a masters.
So one thing to keep in mind, just because you don't go to university now, does not mean that you can't attend in the future. Once you have your degree, it opens so many doors and the chance to progress to the top is very good. Hope this helps.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.