IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Which BEng (hons) Degree Should i Choose???
Topic Summary: BEng (hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering with Systems for Environmental Services or BEng (hons) Building Service
Created On: 08 March 2012 09:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 March 2012 09:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

JamesSelf

Hi,

I work as a Building Services Electrical Design Engineer and have done for the last 4+ years following 10+ years working on site. As well as gaining C&G qualifications I've also got NC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and am just completing my HNC in Building Services Engineering. I've been given the opportunity to carry on and get a BEng (hons) degree (at London South Bank (LSBU)) but I'm not sure which would be best.....

1) BEng (hons) Electrical & Electronic Engineering with Systems for Environmental Services
http://prospectus.lsbu.ac.uk/c...rse.php?UCASCode=H600

2) BEng (hons) Building Services Engineering.
http://prospectus.lsbu.ac.uk/c...rse.php?UCASCode=K2J9

I've had a talk to both course leaders and they both think that their course would be best so I thought I would through the debate open and see what everyone else thought and what the consensus of opinion was or if there was anyone that was or had been on either course and could offer some advice etc.

Thanks in advance

James
 14 March 2012 01:56 PM

mbirdi

First of all you should know what knowledge you want to gain at the end of the course and what accreditation towards CEng status is available? Then look at the breakdown of subjects from each course and decide which one appeals to you most and decide the course you want to sign up for. Can't be simpler than that.

Personally, it looks like the two courses are similar in content and the SBU are just trying to pull the wool over people's eyes to attract as many students as possible. I would go for the one with the least words. So that if someone asks you what degree have you got? You don't really want to describe the words "Electrical and Electronic Engineering with Systems for Environmental Services" everytime do you?

I'd go for Building Services Engineering. Simple and straight to the point. Just my point of view.

It's your decision though?

Edited: 14 March 2012 at 06:40 PM by mbirdi
 03 May 2012 04:47 PM

dannatta

Im currently in my 4th year at London Southbank doing BSc (Hons) Building service Engineering.

It a good Uni with a high quality of lectures. The course is very informative. The University is improving all the time with new facilities.
The Bsc Building Services Degree has recently just changed interms of them changing a few unit.

What i will say is, if you want to do pure electrics this is not the course, although you will study electrical units and lighting and you can incoroprate your electrical background into your coursework.

If you want a better understanding in building services, accustics, air conditioning, IES software, this is the course for you.

I went striaght into year 3 as I had good grades from my HNC which i attained at CIty of Westminster collage.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.