IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: when can you call yourself an electrical engineer?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 23 February 2012 07:46 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 24 February 2012 07:05 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

peteTLM

Well i would expect someone to have something with a bit more substance than an nvq, and a bit more experience than just 4 years all as an apprentice. I done a 3- 4 year apprenticeship at the same time as my BTEC, and i thought i knew it all. Ive learnt something new everyday for the following 20 years after as well!
HNC/HND would be a start. The Btec is more impressive than a nvq which no one rates except the jib who cant see past it for anything at all.
The term Engineer isnt a protected title, but is polluted with the likes of ' washing machine engineer, 'cable tv engineer, etc.
If an 'electrical engineer' turned up at a job, i would expect them to know pretty much everything from the transformer in the street to the lumens avaliable at the emergency fitting above my head.

Anyone at any level can join the IET, but to register as MIET takes a bit of experience. Have a look at the requirements for MIET on the links top right.
Good luck with the rest of your journey.

-------------------------
----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 07 March 2012 08:09 AM

adamtaylor

Hi,

I've been out my apprentership for about 3 years, through my apprentership I was also like you, I was naive and just wanted to be an engineer. I now realise that status feels feels good but knowledge is much more powerful!

Concentrate on your studies and the status will follow!

Hope this helps
Adam

Fail to prepare...Prepare to fail!

Adam
 07 March 2012 09:32 AM

gkenyon

There is no restriction on the use of "Electrical Engineer". This is because in the English language, the word "engineer" has a multiplicity of uses, and has never really been a professional title, or one denoting qualifications, such as "Doctor".

Only the titles "Chartered Engineer", "Incorporated Engineer", "Engineering Technician" etc. are reserved for use only by those who are registered at the right level with the Engineering Council. These titles are protected in law in the EU, and awarded in accordance with UK Royal Charter.

The title "Chartered Electrical Engineer" is also protected and reserved for the use (if they so wish) of people who were registered as such through the IEE before a certain date in 2002, who remain members or fellows of the IET, but it has not been awarded by IEE or IET since that time.

Eur Ing Graham Kenyon CEng MIET TechIOSH
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.