Increase font size
Topic Title: Isolation Circuits
Topic Summary: dc/ac Invertor using PWM
Created On: 30 January 2012 08:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 30 January 2012 08:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

talbonview

I am currently in my 3rd year of my power degree, and have been tasked with designing and building the driver, buffer, isolation and invertor/switching circuit (its a group project).

i seem to be able to find good informaiton on all other areas except the insolation circuit could anyone point me in the right direction.

thanks for your time
Tracyann
 31 January 2012 12:16 PM

amillar

In principle it's easy, the isolation circuit is just a transformer. If you want to regulate the output voltage there may need to be a feed back path through another either transformer or through an opto-isolator.

Actually designing and building it is rather more difficult, I'm assuming that if you're using PWM you are probably using frequencies higher than 50 Hz, and you need to understand how this affects the design of the transformer.

I suggest you look in the university library for anything you can find on switch mode power supply design, you may well find information there on just this type of circuit. Also have a look at the e-books on this website.

Good luck!

-------------------------
Andy Millar CEng MIET CMgr MCMI

http://www.linkedin.com/in/millarandy

"The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress." Joseph Joubert
 31 January 2012 06:43 PM

talbonview

Thanks very much for your time in replying, yeah i have been looking through a few books and managed to find some more information today.

fingers crossed it all comes together!

thanks again
tracyann
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.