Increase font size
Topic Title: Wanting to train to be an electricien
Topic Summary: Giving up Engineering on power stations to be an electricien
Created On: 25 September 2011 02:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 September 2011 02:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

gravitate

Hi I am currently 33 and I am a graduate Mechanical Engineer. I will soon be chartered too. But the thing is I don't like my job. I don't like working for other people. I want to start a business not related to Engineering but also want a good solid trade so I can work as an electricien domestically. I want to train to be a domestic electricien. As I have a young family I can't really afford to take an apprentaship. What I was looking to do was to do a course part time. Is this possible? I live in leeds by the way. Any advice would be very much welcomed. I have previously worked as a tiler and enjoyed the hands on nature and also working for your self.
 25 September 2011 02:46 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

OMS

Whilst I can understand your desire, I would be very wary about chucking in a perfectly good engineering job to become a house bashing spark (other business notwithstanding).

The current climate isn't good for domestic work.

That said, there are plenty of companies out there offering part time training.

I would investigate your local college and the requirements of "Part P" in the first instance.

Failing that, with the next generation of nuclear around the corner, why not look at a "sideways" move rather than totally change direction if your currently working in generation

regards

OMS

-------------------------
Failure is always an option
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.