Increase font size
Topic Title: mentoring?
Topic Summary: to help or not to?
Created On: 18 August 2011 08:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 18 August 2011 08:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ads114

hi , i have started a new post in a very busy dept of a major player in the industry. i was taken on because i have knowledge and experience the dept recognise will be useful. there is no dedicated training programme for me, i don't know what i am doing from one day to the next i am having to occupy my time by trying to find things to do and read etc. i have been given a mentor who is so busy with his own work and completely stressed out he cannot spend any time with me. i ask for help, he cannot give it and brushes me off, despite having a long chat with him to try and fix things and come to some conclusion as to the way forward. how is this best resolved without causing any trouble, its a thought to go in when you are the only person not doing much it seems.the boss is very good and says to chill out and dont look to do too much to soon but i'm not happy, any thoughts please.
 24 August 2011 02:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

VazSingh

Hello,

Firstly, have you thought of getting an IET mentor? The IET has a free mentoring programme where you can get paired up with a professional from a similar (or different) background to support you with your goal or objective.

It may be that you wish to work towards gaining chartership, progress further in your career or change field. What is it in particular that you would like guidance on?

Another tip I'd share with you is to try and get involved with your local IET network, particularly the events committee. This will give you can opportunity to network with other members of the IET and also to informally soak in ideas and information.

From what you have written I think ideally you should try and seek someone in your company that can mentor you further and/or supervise your development within the company.

Please feel free to correct me if my understanding of your situation has been incorrect.

Kind regards,
Varinder Singh
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.