IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Career Options
Topic Summary: Becoming an electrician and Career Options (further courses etc)
Created On: 22 June 2011 04:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 June 2011 04:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ADINI

I'm 30 years old, from Bristol, and 14 months ago decided on a complete career change to become an electrician. Ive now completed my C & G level 2 and 3, 17th Edition and have signed up for my NVQ. In the classroom ive found everything really interesting and have found the maths and theory side of the courses fairly easy. Like many adult learners Im very hungry to learn and make my way in the industry. I was hoping to find full time work to supplement my studies, however, as many people find, despite writing and speaking to literally 100's of contractors etc, finding someone who'll take you on is easier said than done.

Practically, ive gone from literally not being able to use a drill to being considerably better (wire up most things domestically) but full well knowing i have a long way to go. I have gained experience in last year working with various electricians on re-wires, agency work and doing small jobs for friends and family. However, the learning process is bitty and slow as well as fustrating and sometimes embarrassing when you are out of your depth. Ideally I would like to learn the trade in the proper manner with a reputable electric firm almost in an apprentice style manner, even if it meant earning low wages for a period of time. Im confident that if someone would take me on, on a domestic level you could learn a good proportion of what you need to know in 6 - 12 months.

Ideally I would like to learn the trade in the proper manner with a reputable electric firm almost in an apprentice style manner, even if it meant earning low wages for a period of time. However, this seems like an impossibility and is very frustrating and I am now not really sure in what direction to go.

I was wondering if anyone out there has gone through a similar situation themselves and had any advice on getting on in the industry?

Also having spent a fair few grand already, im not overly keen on doing any further courses, but having found myself quite good at the maths and theory side of it , what options (career wise and course wise)are out there? ie. HNC courses etc. Does anyone know what they involve and career options at the end of them etc? Are they worth the expense?
 22 June 2011 06:26 PM

Gruff

I know it's not the ordered, quasi-apprenticeship you'd prefer, but in your position I'd be picking up all my work by contracting through agencies.

I spent years on the spanners as a contracting mech fitter before making a move to becoming a "proper engineer", and when I look through the job adverts now I still see plenty of mech and electrical work being advertised.

You'll know better than me what tickets you need to actually work as a sparky (must you finish your nvq perhaps?) but once you have those, I'd say just blag your way onto jobs that you feel qualified and capable of doing.

As an electrician, you obviously have a duty to undertake only work for which you are competent and qualified, but if a job advert or contract looks like it passes that threshold, I'd say jump on it. Stop looking for non-existent training positions and just go to work as a sparky.

Agencies often have lower requirements for formal career history and references etc, as they are just looking to fill positions for 3/6/x months here or there so it can be easier to get on a job, and rotating through sites and contracts quickly can be a good way to pick up lots of experience on different equipment in a relatively short time.
 05 July 2011 01:37 PM

Bud1975

I am going through exactly the same as you as I am being made redundant in September and I have passed the 17th edition, full scope etc.

I am thinking of just going for it and senting myself up in September whilst at the same time "pimping" myself off to other sparks who need a hand whilst at the same time hopefully learning as much as I can.

I am worried though that at times I might be out of my depth too and I thought if I could introduce myself to some other sparks and I pick up the business then I could possibly "contract out" the job and still learn.
 05 July 2011 03:19 PM

martra

I went to the City of Bristol College and they offer a HNC in building services,possible electrical and electronic and from that they offer entry into a Plymouth uni. That's if you want to take it that far. But I found the teaching very good at the college. Also this would lead you more into engineering.
 05 July 2011 05:42 PM

jjones436

hi guys,
i would just like to share my experiance with you, as i hav just finished my level 3 in c&g 2330 through an apprentiship, in november 2009 my company laid off my supervisor and the other spark leaving only me to do their electrical work, at the time i was just starting my second year college and honestly was bricking myself but they had no choice about the redundancies and i was lucky enough to be contracted through my apprentiship so they had an obligation to keep me employed, i was through into the deep end and think its worked wonders for me as i worked hard in college got stuck into everything on site and now im confident of doing any task given. you cant learn it all in a class room. my advise is to get out there and so it.
 28 July 2011 11:30 AM

Bud1975

So ADINI ................ How did it go? What route are you now looking to take?
 13 September 2011 05:04 PM

tobibaker

Hey are you still in the same position ?

It might not sound like very much fun, but have you thought about volunteering sometimes this can give you a foot in with a good employer, it shows you have the commitment to pursue your dreams.

-------------------------
Experienced Engineering Consultant

Tiro Associates
 28 June 2012 08:36 AM

alanf

I wonder if somebody can advise me. The company I work for has just taken on a apprentice electrician and it seems that the only training course that might be suitable (from July) is the CGLI 2357 (three years). From the little I know about this course it seems to be preoccupied with the Wiring Regulations, practical techniques, Health, Safety and the environment. Little or no basic electrical circuit theory (Ohms law etc.,) seems to be included.
My query is are there any other courses out there, which not only teaches the Regulations but also provides some Electrical principles allow the young person a better understanding of the why as well as the how.
Many thanks
AlanF
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.