Increase font size
Topic Title: working unsupervised
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11 May 2011 07:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11 May 2011 07:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

jjones436

Hi

I would just like to find out about the law regarding apprentices working unsupervised? i work for a small building firm with only one spark and myself a 3rd year apprentice, now my supervisor has quite this week for another company and my managers have asked me to carry on with the contract's on my own and they will bring in sub contractors to test my installation, no body els in the company has any idea about electrical work and im having to do all the work, mostley its just upgrading empty councile houses, ie.. replacing baken acssosories, upgarding consumer units ect.
is this allowed or are they breaking any kind of laws/regulation?

thanks
 11 May 2011 08:01 AM

neiljohnson52

Morning
The EAWR1989 and HASAWA1974 will have relevance to your situation, both state a requirement for competence to prevent injury to him/herself and others during work activities.
From your other post I am presuming that you are still in training. If this is the case it would be a good idea to speak to your training officer, there may be organisational requirements for you to have close supervision, your company may be in breach of your training agreement.
On the other hand, there will always come a time when you have to make that leap and work unsupervised. I am sure that most apprentices feel uneasy when this first happens, but that is how you progress. If you don't feel confident to carry out your work safely, speak to your employer.
Good luck
Neil
 11 May 2011 05:02 PM

jjones436

Hi Neil,
thanks for your reply i am still in training but am in my last year and have longer experiance in the industry as my dad is a spark, im confidant of my abillity but just wanted to know if i could get in to trouble working unsupervised as i am not qualified, i will look at the hse website just to be clear
thanks again
john
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.