IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: [Career Question] How far do my degree cover my works?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 25 March 2011 12:54 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 25 March 2011 12:54 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

glam04

Hello All,

I am a recent graduate with an upper second class honors degree in Electrical Engineering.

I am curious to know how the vocational qualifications are rated and if a BEng degree contributes to any exemption in requirements to become a qualified electrician?

I have worked in a power plant for about an year as a engineering student and also I know the wiring regulation in detail. Now, if I want to be self-employed and do domestic installation, what certifications/exams do I need to go through or do I get any discount because of the course I have done?

I would welcome any guideline!

thanks

-------------------------

25 March 2011 11:36 AM

simongallagher

Why not become an Engineer?
 25 March 2011 12:38 PM

glam04

@simongallagher
Unfortunately, in this economic climate, the employers seem to be alergic to recent graduates!

25 March 2011 02:47 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

peteTLM

what experience do you have in domestic installation?

If you wanted to register with one of the self certify schemes you would need 2382 as an absolute bare minimum. 2391 would prove your competency in testing.
If you wanted to go the NVQ3 route, you have until next weds to register or it will be gone forever and replaced with an electrotechinical diploma. The NVQ would be useful if you wanted a JIB card or wanted to work for someone else at some stage. You would need an ECS card to get onto a building site.
This has been discussed to the death on the wiring and regs forum.
Good luck.

P

----------------------------------------
Lack of planning on your part doesn't make it an emergency on mine....

Every man has to know his limitations- Dirty Harry
 28 March 2011 10:46 AM

reesbosl

As another recent graduate (BEng (Hons) Electrical and Electronic Engineering) and also an electrician the first thing to consider is that pieces of paper such as 2382:2008 are only relevant to prove competency in a field, and after speaking to a number of people who know that my degree was acredited, it really does depend upon the content of your course at University.

The likelihood is that there would not have been very much, if any, domestic electrical engineering application whilst at University. And I would hazard a guess that there was also little if any domestic electrical engineering application during your time at a power plant (I'm also assuming that you took a 'sandwich course' where you had a (roughly) 12 month industrial placement?

IMHO, there is so much difference in the type of work as an electrical engineer and an electrician, and also the level of work (before flaming me remember I work as a spark but know the other side of the fence too!) is so different. We all practice engineering but to a different degree.

If you want to work as a spark, I would say do as a minimum 2382:2008, 2392 (it gets you out there faster - personally I feel 2391 is essential) and full scope Part P. Even then you will know next to nothing in the grand scheme of things!
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.