IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: Any offers on Guidance on what to do next?
Topic Summary: Got Part P and Essential Electrics, next is 17th Edition, 2330 exams
Created On: 03 December 2010 07:07 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03 December 2010 07:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

NickSims

Just wondered has anyone got any help or tips on what to do next during and after passing these exams.?
I pretty much keep myself to myself, but want to snap out of it, hence going down this route is exciting and a lot to take on board, I've been off sick for past five years and I know it's a big ol' world out there.
Where else can I go to get advice and help? Recommendations? I also need, or would like to get NVQ L3 which means I need to work with someone for at least a year.

Any help appreciated. Perhaps there could be a thread which could explain the route to being succesfully self-employed? or one on the right track into getting back into enjoyable work in the electrical industry?

-------------------------
Nick

Student Member of The IET.
 03 December 2010 07:19 PM

neiljohnson52

C&G 2330 is being replaced next year with the C&G 2357, it is looking like only candidates with a work placement will be able to complete this qualification. The current NVQ L3 registrations had to be completed before 1-12-10, the new qualification incorporates the vocational elements of the NVQ L3.
What are you looking to do in the future?
 03 December 2010 07:51 PM

NickSims

Hi neiljohnson52,
What I'm working toward is being self-employed. Self certification. I know it's going to be hard work getting there but I really enjoy working in the electronics field.

I live on the Isle of Wight, so I'm thinking of contracting maybe in the new year, on the UK mainland.

I'm hoping that Train for Trade Skills and their ATL centres are going to be aware of what is required in gaining the necessary quals. especially for someone like me.

Nick

03 December 2010 08:13 PM

neiljohnson52

Just wondering what it is that you want to be qualified to do? To be a qualified electrician recognised by the JIB, you would need to complete an apprenticeship framework which includes work experience. Some organisations, including colleges are prepared to enroll people onto courses which will give them C&G 2330 technical certificate (this provides underpinning knowledge only). The competence of practical skills will not be assessed properly and may not be recognised by certain organisations.
Just offering a suggestion that some organisations are prepared to take your cash without providing what you actually require.
When you say you have Part P, what qualification is that?
 05 December 2010 09:41 PM

nsambrook

The registration for the NVQ has been extended until March 2011.

My advice is look long and hard at what the training providers are offering in comparison with the price and decide if it is worth it. Then look at the job market or speak to some contractors in the area you would be likely looking to work. For many at the moment, it is a hard battle staying in business let alone making money, I'd hate to think of someone spending thousands of pounds to end up where they started.

http://www.electricalqualifications.co.uk
http://www.electricalexams.co.uk
http://www.electricalrevision.co.uk
 05 December 2010 11:22 PM

NickSims

Neil for you ----- Part P - Domestic Installations Qualifications, Houses(dwellings, not industrial)

Ok Well here are the Quals I'll be getting, hopefully.

Industry certification in essential electrics - Got this
Emergency first aid certifcate
Part P Definfined Scope - Got this
C&G 2377 - in service PAT
C&G L2 - 2330-201
C&G L2 - 2330-202
C&G L2 - 2330-203
C&G L2 - 2330-204
C&G 2382-10 17th Edition of the IEE Wiring Regs
Full Scope Part P
Logic Certification domestic periodic inspection certification (2391)

I'll update this when I get the quals.

Nick

06 December 2010 05:58 PM

neiljohnson52

Nick, speaking as an experienced electrician, employer and training provider, I would suggest that you find somebody prepared to give you some on-site experience to help you along. Qualifications are worthwhile but they do not give you the knowledge and techniques that you can only pick up from doing the job, I know I would be looking for some experience as an employer. Good luck with your chosen path, i'm sure you will succeed.
Neil
 06 December 2010 11:50 PM

NickSims

Hi Neil
Thanks for the guidance, it's just what I need. The good thing about the T4TS course is that it is hands on practicals, especially centred around safety. At home is where I get most of my hands on, making my own rigs up so I know what to do when wiring and planning is to be considered. I think that's helped a lot in gaining the quals.
In the new year I will be looking out for companies or individuals to work for so that I can get a decent portfolio up, I may have to work for them for free to do this, as I am on benefits at the moment, which is another big reason for me to get back into working again. What do you think on that, I mean working for free?
The end result after all of this is to be my own boss, but I want to work the ranks to get there.

Nick

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.