Increase font size
Topic Title: Looking at startin HNC
Topic Summary: Guidance needed please
Created On: 19 November 2010 08:12 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 19 November 2010 08:12 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

adam123

hi guys, first thing is, im so surprised how many people are doing a HNC with COLU. Ive had a scan around and been on the COLU website abit. Just want to clear a few things up if possible?

Firstly i take it there is a choice of units? What seem to be the more common choice of units?

Ive heard alot that the HNC in electrical engineering is very electronics biased? is this correct?

what is the average completion time? ive seen alot around 2years, can it be done quicker or is 2 years about right?

any other information would be greatly appreciated and good luck to all those currently studying thanks
 20 November 2010 11:33 AM

westonpa

Originally posted by: adam123

Firstly i take it there is a choice of units? What seem to be the more common choice of units?

Basically, there are some core modules which you must do and thereafter you choose from the optional modules to make up the rest of your chosen HNC.

Ive heard alot that the HNC in electrical engineering is very electronics biased? is this correct?

There is a lot of electronics in electrical equipment nowadays and most universities offer courses which are thus combined electrical and electronic. There are also a lot of commonalities between electrical and electronic theory because of course it's all electricity related. At HNC level you study a lot more of the theoretical stuff. With the COLU option you also get to choose optional modules and so that part of your HNC depends on your choices.

what is the average completion time?

If you check the http://www.tees.ac.uk/schools/sse/colu/courses.cfm and 'How long will it take?' section you can then decide if to do more hours each week in which case you could finish quicker.

ive seen alot around 2years, can it be done quicker or is 2 years about right?

I did two in about 10 months, if that helps to answer your question.

Regards.
 20 November 2010 04:52 PM

adam123

Originally posted by: westonpa

Basically, there are some core modules which you must do and thereafter you choose from the optional modules to make up the rest of your chosen HNC.

There is a lot of electronics in electrical equipment nowadays and most universities offer courses which are thus combined electrical and electronic. There are also a lot of commonalities between electrical and electronic theory because of course it's all electricity related. At HNC level you study a lot more of the theoretical stuff. With the COLU option you also get to choose optional modules and so that part of your HNC depends on your choices.

what is the average completion time?

If you check the Link removed/schools/sse/colu/courses.cfm and 'How long will it take?' section you can then decide if to do more hours each week in which case you could finish quicker.

ive seen alot around 2years, can it be done quicker or is 2 years about right?

I did two in about 10 months, if that helps to answer your question.

Regards.

2 in 10months? what were they? and how many hours a week was that? that is some going well done
 20 November 2010 05:36 PM

westonpa

Electrical and mechanical at about 18 hours per week. I did not have to study the core modules again for the second HNC.

Regards.
 21 November 2010 12:00 AM

adam123

o i see, well thats interesting, myself i would probably go for electrical engineering and building services i think, ive got my 2391-20 design and verification starting in january, so will try and get my HNC's done then. thanks
 23 November 2010 06:20 PM

leeroy2101

o i see, well thats interesting, myself i would probably go for electrical engineering and building services i think, ive got my 2391-20 design and verification starting in january, so will try and get my HNC's done then. thanks

Hi Adam,
Are you doing the building services HNC with COLU as well? I couldn't see it on their website.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.