Increase font size
Topic Title: oil filled 11kv cct breaker
Topic Summary: electrical testing
Created On: 20 July 2010 08:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 20 July 2010 08:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

ads114

what's everyones thoughts on this one? i was watching one of these breakers having an oil change recently, once finished it was electrically tested ie "meggered" now here is my question, it was a 1000v megger, each phase and insulator/pole is tested to earth ensuring it's clear, on the Megohm setting, it was then tested between phase's to ensure again there wasn't a short phase to phase also on the Megohm setting.
Should the phase to phase test not have been on the ohm setting as opposed to Megohms?
i was always told megs for insulation resistance,ohms for continuity/resistance only reason being meg ohms can jump a gap and give an incorrect reading?
 21 July 2010 10:07 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rh2577

Originally posted by: ads114

Should the phase to phase test not have been on the ohm setting as opposed to Megohms?

Assuming that the switchgear is isolated from both the load and supply then this is a valid test to ensure separation of the poles.

i was always told megs for insulation resistance,ohms for continuity/resistance

But you're not testing continuity ph-ph in this case, just ensuring that there is not a short between the individual poles i.e. insulation rsistance (the insulation separating the poles).
HTH

-------------------------
Rob Heywood MIET

As you get older, three things happen, the first is that your memory goes and..........I can't recall what the other two things are!

Norman Wisdom
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.