Increase font size
Topic Title: What do I do now?
Topic Summary: Just Finished C&G 2330
Created On: 08 July 2010 10:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08 July 2010 10:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

rk696

Hi Guys,

I've just finished the third year at college, doing a C&G 2330 course.

Having looked around these forums, and other sites, it appears the college mislead me a bit, and it turns out I am not a fully qualified electrician, like they said I would be.

Do I need to do the C&G 2356 course? It's the level 3 nvq. From what I can see, you need to have 2330 level 2 to apply, but I already have level 2 and 3.

What about 2381? These are the 17th edition regs, aren't they?
 09 July 2010 05:35 PM

scottyscott

many of us were caught with our pants down and well and truly spanked! I have done the 17th edition as that's the minimum you should be aiming for. of you're looking at doing the NVQ I was advised to do it before September as it may be changing. being qualified is far more complicated but your best to make a start with finding an apprentaship or mates job
 09 July 2010 09:53 PM

GJH

You may be ok to do Part P work (domestic) only ,but as far as getting your JIB "qualified" or "approved" electrician status then you will need your 17th edition and 2391 testing as a minimum aswell as NVQ level 3.

I did a 4 year apprenticeship and then AM2 assessment. It makes me smile when i hear these companies and colleges say that if you take this course then you are an electrician. A part P domestic installer maybe.

Do as much as you can and keep going.
 09 July 2010 09:54 PM

rk696

Cheers for the reply Scott.

Yeah, I've heard that the 2330 is ending this year, and a new one if supposed to be coming out.

What does the 2330 actually let you do?
 10 July 2010 08:48 AM

nsambrook

The 2330 is the underpinning knowledge aspect for the NVQ, the two were always meant to work in parallel to enable JIB grading. I am very surprised if they did, but if your college said you would be a qualified electrician, that was quite naughty of them. The idea of doing the 2330 was that it gave you a lead into the electrical industry where you would then complete the NVQ.

I do believe that if you get the C&G 2382 17th Edition (you can do the 1 day update course if you have the 2330 level 3) you can register with competent persons schemes with the 2330 as a domestic installer.

The 2330 and the 2356 end in December this year. If you can get a job and register on the NVQ, now is the time to do so as it may be more difficult when the replacement qualification comes out in 2011. The C&G 2391 does allow for JIB grading at approved level.

-------------------------
http://www.electricalqualifications.co.uk
http://www.electricalexams.co.uk
http://www.electricalrevision.co.uk
 03 September 2010 11:05 AM

deleted_1_bjones6

I'm trying to help my son unravel the qualifications for 'JIB approved'.
He started late into studying for C&G2330 and has all parts (16th Edition).
However, he couldn't find an apprenticship and progressed from labouring to more skilled jobs just by keeping at it. He's also done some HVAC and building services/maintenance work - all contract stuff, unfortunately.

So, my question is - are the requirements clearly and concisely laid down somewhere? Here, in the IET, for example? Do C&G have a clear guide? I haven't yet found anything I see as clear and authorititive.

Some pointers would be usefull.

I'm MIET as a result of being a 'mature' graduate, but it's easier to work out the requirements for that than 'Qualified Electrician'
 15 September 2010 08:15 AM

xXDeltaXx

Hi,

I have also just finished my 2330 Level 3 (already have Level 2). I have a job with a nonelectrical company and took the qualification originally with the aim to get on pannel building courses...

There is always the probability of getting further qualifications through them; but as it's non electrical, I don't have a massive ammount of experience within the industry and the time taken to complete my practicals showed this :-/

So, what (if anything) does the C&G 2330 Levels 2 & 3 allow me to do? - can I even change out a broken light switch? (obviously I'd need to fill in various certs for any work)

Thanks

James
 01 October 2010 12:52 AM

victorian

Hi there. I have completed my electrical course in 2004 when it was C&G 2360. I also did not know that I will be called electrical trainee or mate.

I call the JIB and they told me I have to do NVQ level3 electrical practical work then I will be called approved electrician. This course is various from £700 to £1250. I need to find electrical mate work by myself and paid £1250 for an assessor to come visit me on site so then i can claim my approved electrician qualification.

It is very hard but i do not have a choice as i realy need to be approved electrician as there are many electrician work than mate work. i will encourage any of you guy who has completed the c&g 2330 course to find a mate job through agency and do nvq level 3 as there is not another way of becoming approved electrician.

Edited: 01 October 2010 at 01:00 AM by victorian
 21 October 2010 08:31 AM

Lightsalive

As from 2011 september the 2330 will change course code .

The city and guilds website has the 2330 current course sylabous to view via it's site .

a plumber could be part p registered or even a bricklayer etc .

Part p qualified is a good way to be competent should i say in my view.

a person does not need to be part p qualified as jobs could be done but however take not building control must be notified before hand and will cost you money

best advice do part p etc

I'm not sure on the JIB scheme but elecsa has very good advice i found niceic a little expensive they do also have good information .

These places will give you free advice phone them up tell them what you want to to with part p etc they may help you .
 21 October 2010 07:56 PM

nsambrook

The Part P (EAL qualification) will be an outgoing qualification according to my sources. In its stead will be a new level 3 qualification with performance units meaning that it will have to be completed on the job the same as the current NVQ.

If someone currently has the 2330 levels 2 and 3, I most heartily recommend that they complete the NVQ while they still can. As of April 2011, the NVQ will be gone meaning that you will have to do the new 2357 (thus involving going back to college for a unit).

-------------------------
http://www.electricalqualifications.co.uk
http://www.electricalexams.co.uk
http://www.electricalrevision.co.uk
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.