IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: what to do after my HNC engineering systesm(electrical)
Topic Summary: next step in my career
Created On: 14 May 2010 06:36 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 14 May 2010 06:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

martra

I am currently working for an automation company in cardiff and just finished my hnc part-time. In my role all i do is panel build and install and don't see any engineering. Its seems like am not getting enough experience which my hnc not very useful at the momment .am considering my options and trying to come up with a plan of what to do next?

I have had a couple of offers from uni's to study for an Beng in electrical engineering next year. One with direct entry to year 2, but not a well known uni and entry into year 1 of a top uni.

also by the time i will hav done a three year degree i will be 26.

am also considering applying for new roles with a larger companies but so far i haven't got enough experience and haven't found many junior/trainee roles.

Am pretty certain that i would be able to carry on and do a hnd top-up next year in my current role. But am not certain that I would be in the same position but a year down the line.

i'd be very greatful for any thoughts on the matter or you have been in my shoes.
 15 May 2010 04:03 PM

simongallagher

By the time I Graduated from my Beng and started working, I was 26, and to be honest while I'm a bit behind in pension earnings, I feel that being a bit older (and been around a few more corners) is an advantage when competing with other graduates.

I done a HND with just prior GCSEs, and then went straight into second year of a Beng at a good Uni. However, this was a big mistake. As I just wrote on another thread, the mathematics on the HND course is not enough for second year entry.

I dropped myself down into first year, and still really struggled with the maths. I made it in the end up, with a lot of self study.

I'm certainly glad I did the degree, there does not seem to be a demand for engineers with HND/HNC without significant experience.

If you are not happy in what you are doing, and without significant experience (such as a SAP in the power industry), I would say that the degree is the best option. If you do, then I would really recommend you to do the full three years at a good uni.

You could graduate at 26, earn £26,000 for a year and a half on a graduate scheme getting lots of good experience and exposure, and become charted by 32 (with some further learning), which is exactly the route I am on!

Simon
 19 May 2010 07:57 PM

martra

Thamks for the advice.I will be enrolling into cardiff uni this september in year 1.
 20 May 2010 02:37 PM

mbirdi

At around the time Robin McGill (Chief Executive of IET) was departing to his new role as Managing Director? of AWE (Atomic Weapons Establishment), I found several job adverts on the internet looking for Senior Engineers at AWE with Nuclear expertise. The qualification required was....................an HNC.

The growing demand for graduate level engineers is fuelled by the large number of graduates coming out of Universities each year (for limited job vacancies) and not because graduates make better engineers.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.