IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: 2330 Level 3 entry requirements
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10 May 2010 10:23 PM
Status: Read Only
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 May 2010 10:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



phy8dop

Posts: 1
Joined: 10 May 2010

Hi, I am currently doing the 2330 level 2 course at an evening class.

My class have heard today that we won't be able to pass onto level 3 unless we are working in the trade. Until this year (and when we started our L2 courses) the college has not required you to be working in the trade to go into L3.

Does anyone know if this is the same at all colleges and why it might have changed?

Most of my course mates are not in the trade at all - with it being an evening class there are a lot of us taking the course with the intention of changing careers and so we can't necessarily just quit work and take a lower paid apprentice job.
It feels as though we will have hit a bit of a brick wall with this course with the option of jumping trades now or not being able to carry on with the course.

We still haven't been told anything official.....I'm just trying to gather some information from others as I think we might have to have a little moan at the college. This certainly wasn't mentioned to us when they sold us the plan of progressing from L2 to L3.
 11 May 2010 08:47 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message



nsambrook

Posts: 265
Joined: 13 October 2006

Hi there. I can answer some of your questions.

Originally posted by: phy8dop
My class have heard today that we won't be able to pass onto level 3 unless we are working in the trade. Until this year (and when we started our L2 courses) the college has not required you to be working in the trade to go into L3.
Does anyone know if this is the same at all colleges and why it might have changed?


At the end of February this year, the government published a list of "non-priority" courses. Amongst these courses were the 2330, both levels. This meant that colleges could no longer get funded for the 2330 as of September 2010 for anybody aged 19+. I know that it sometimes seems that you pay a lot for the courses, but bear in mind these are subsidised to the tune of about 50%.

This also means that colleges are facing national redundancies of approximately 7000 staff (Gov't keeping that quiet eh?).

Summit Skills (the body responsible for electrical qualifications, it has nothing to do with your college or the City & Guilds despite thoughts to the contrary) have stated that you can no longer become an electrician unless you are employed as one. The Government have also stated that they will not fund you even if you are employed as one whilst you are over the age of 18. The college would not have been aware of this when they enrolled you. I was at a C&G event last week and believe me, your anger is nothing on what the tutors are displaying (as they all stare redundancy in the face and watch the qualification decline yet again). The new C&G 2357 (in draft waiting for Summit Skills approval) can now only be delivered to 16-18 year olds on an apprenticeship or alternatively the "Knowledge" units can be delivered to those willing to pay full cost for them.

Originally posted by: phy8dop

Most of my course mates are not in the trade at all - with it being an evening class there are a lot of us taking the course with the intention of changing careers and so we can't necessarily just quit work and take a lower paid apprentice job.
It feels as though we will have hit a bit of a brick wall with this course with the option of jumping trades now or not being able to carry on with the course.


Summit Skills believe that we are training too many non electricians on the 2330, they consider those with the qualification "part qualified" because they are not linked to an apprenticeship. Incidentally they have failed to mention the domestic electricians who can do a 5 day course and practise as a domestic electrician completely approved by the NIC and the like but there you go, conveniently forgotten.

There may be some options to complete the Level 3, I am currently looking into a distance option with block weeks for the practical elements and the rest taught online to keep the costs down. Keep an eye out I am sure there will be options, limited, but options.

Originally posted by: phy8dop
We still haven't been told anything official.....I'm just trying to gather some information from others as I think we might have to have a little moan at the college. This certainly wasn't mentioned to us when they sold us the plan of progressing from L2 to L3.


As I say, they would not have known, this is the Summit Skills doing and has NOTHING to do with colleges or the C&G. I would strongly urge you and your classmates and any others to put their thoughts in writing to the Summit Skills and their MP. This plan of theirs means that you can no longer retrain as an electrician unless you are willing to part with serious cash.

I could go on about this forever sorry, you will find many other passionate people who feel the same.

Incidentally, the Welsh lobbied parliament and got an extension until Dec 2010 meaning that they can enrol safely on the 2330 for another year. Perhaps the English could consider the same?

-------------------------
http://www.electricalqualifications.co.uk
http://www.electricalexams.co.uk
http://www.electricalrevision.co.uk
Statistics

See Also:



FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.