IET
Decrease font size
Increase font size
Topic Title: advice - HNC or another option?
Topic Summary: fully qualified electrician - career progression
Created On: 04 April 2010 05:53 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04 April 2010 05:53 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

sippa

Hey there,

I'm looking for some advice.

I am a fully qualified electrician (2391, 17th Edition, 2360 parts 1+2) currently working as an electrical foreman.

I want to progress into electrical engineering/design. I am looking to build on my existing career and qualifications as, at the age of 30 and with commitments, can't afford to be starting at the beginning again. I don't have a degree but have good GCSE/A Levels and seven years' experience as an electrician.

Would a HNC course in Electrical Engineering be the best thing I could do? Or can anyone recommend another route I could look into, or people I could contact?

Any and all advice would be very much appreciated!!

Thanks
Simon

Edited: 04 April 2010 at 08:55 PM by sippa
 07 April 2010 10:22 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

If you have commitments then I am assuming you will need to either do evening study or distance learning.

1. I would also look at your local college/university and see if they have anything which you could commit too.....and if so go and have a chat with them.

2. There are distance learning degrees and HNC's available, for example Portsmouth Uni, COLU, Bath Uni, Open Uni, etc. Take a look at the qualifications you will require to attain the career you want, through job adverts, careers advisor, etc., and then look at the distance learning qualifications on offer and speak with their tutors/contacts. If you choose carefully you could for example first do a HNC which is equivalent to the 1st year of a degree, and then progress directly to the 2nd year of a degree.....thus you would get a HNC quite early and then a degree later on. For this option you would need to check with the degree provider that your chosen HNC modules will be acceptable for their 1st year......you may not wish to do this of course but it's possible.

Regards.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.