Increase font size
Topic Title: The next step?
Topic Summary: Advice required
Created On: 02 March 2010 03:54 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02 March 2010 03:54 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

BrookesP

I am due to complete a HNC in Building Services Engineering in June and have been told by my employer that if i wish to go to university i would have to sacrifice a days pay every week. As things stand i would be unable to do this so would like some advice as to whether it is worth doing another HNC via COLU or would this be a waste of time and effort. I have looked at an Open University degree but the engineering degrees dont strike me as being particularly relevant to what i do.

Thanks in advance

-------------------------
"Excellence is the ability to do ordinary things, extraordinarily well."
John W. Gardner

"The capacity to learn is a gift;
The ability to learn is a skill;
The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice."

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." Malcolm X
 02 March 2010 06:21 PM

OMS

I am due to complete a HNC in Building Services Engineering in June and have been told by my employer that if i wish to go to university i would have to sacrifice a days pay every week.

Not uncommon in today's climate (or any climate come to that). Have you considered working back the hours evenings/weekends - hell of a slog I can tell you from bitter experience but with a bit of spousal support it is doable

Have you looked at distance learning as another option

Is it practicable to slow down the degree and only do half the modules in a year so your only away for a half day.

My advise would be to slog on in any way you can - where there's a will and all that.

Get your degree and when the economy picks up tell your current employer what an unsupportive approach they have and then move on for better money

Good Luck

OMS

Failure is always an option
 02 March 2010 06:49 PM

mbirdi

There are better opportunities to study Building Services Eng via distance learning at MSc level. Some Universities offer foundation studies to HNC/HND level engineers as preparation for MSc courses. One such example is Brunel University below.

http://www.brunel.ac.uk/about/...l/buildserv/foundation
 02 March 2010 07:44 PM

OMS

How would a HND and an MSc fit with the criteria for becoming Chartered for example - I thought you would need a cognate undergraduate degree before doing an MEng or MSc - although the relevant University school would more than likley accept you

Regards

OMS

02 March 2010 08:54 PM

mbirdi

An HNC/HND plus MSc wouldn't go well with meeting the critera for becoming CEng. But then BrookesP never said anything about becoming CEng?

Look at it this way, what employer is going to turn down someone with an MSc and experience?

There's nothing stopping someone with an HNC bypassing the BSc/BEng/MEng route and going straight onto do MSc/PhD and even becoming a Professor and who knows, receive a Nobel Prize one day. And all without even getting a degree or CEng.

If I were in BrookesP's position I'd jump right in and take the MSc option.
 02 March 2010 09:22 PM

westonpa

I think BrookesP has the qualifications and experience he needs for now, and possibly the next few years, so I think he needs to ask himself where he wants to be in say 10 - 15 years time and plan the qualifications route for that. There was a time when I needed no more than a craft certificate and experience, and thought that a degree was in no way related to what I did, but 15 years later I had different aspirations. I suggest to do something else whilst still in the study mode, and still in the university system, and a degree and/or MSc will most likely be more valuable than another HNC.

Regards.
 03 March 2010 09:37 AM

BrookesP

Many thanks for the advice. Will have to consider my options carefully, and speak nicely to the mrs, over the next couple of months before i make my final decision.

"Excellence is the ability to do ordinary things, extraordinarily well."
John W. Gardner

"The capacity to learn is a gift;
The ability to learn is a skill;
The WILLINGNESS to learn is a choice."

"Education is our passport to the future, for tomorrow belongs to those who prepare for it today." Malcolm X
 03 March 2010 11:38 AM

OMS

Presumablly you work for an MEP consultantcy - getting chartered will open up your career route believe me - consultancy practices still prefer to have CEng on thier engineers business cards and CV's

Yes, there are plenty of MSc etc courses out there that you could join with a HND.

Personally speaking I would focus on that first degree above all else - it will be a breeze anyway if you have already successfully completed a HND.

From there pick something that interests you even if it's not strictly Building Services - I did an MSc in Environmental Architecture after my first degree for example.

Don't miss the opportunity to pick up the vocational aspects as well - investigate things like the LIF Advanced Lighting Certificates and BREEAM Accredited Professional or Assesssor roles. I would also look at things like CIBSE low Carbon Consultant/Energy Assessor and any training available on various modelling packages (IES etc).

Speak very nicely to the wife - her support will be essential, believe me.

Use the downturn to invest in your skills and education - when we come out the other side you will be best placed to move your career in Building Services forward in my opinion

Regards

OMS

Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.