Topic Title: Any recommended HNC Electrical Engineering courses
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 September 2006 10:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10 November 2009 06:36 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

westonpa

Originally posted by: Spency205

Hi everyone,

I have read with interest all the posts in this subject as i am looking for a career change into the electrical field.

I have no electrical background other than interest, although i am a technically minded person, have a radio amatuers licence etc so am familiar with electrics and electronics to a certain extent. I would like to break into the offshore or renewables industry, possibly as an electrical technician, but would do whatever job was necessary to get a start.

Distance learning isn't a problem for me, i had to do professional exams in my current job so am well used to it!

I am 31 years old, married and a young family so the apprenticeship route isn't really an option for me, i just coudn't take the pay cut required to do it. I am considering the HNC electrical route as mentioned in this forum. Has anyone on here got offshore experience and if so, is it possible for me to get an electrical position offshore with the HNC electrical ? Obviously i would have to do all the RGIT survival etc also. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Very difficult without some experience to back up the qualifications, especially in the current economic climate. You may not like electrical engineering at all and then you would be really up the creek. With a young family I think you need to be realistic.....you mention taking a pay cut which suggests you have a reasonable wage to consider. I suggest two considerations for you:

1. Compromise and change to something that compliments your current experience/qualifications, whatever they are, so you do not waste what you have done to date and can maintain a reasonable job/conditions. If you need to study for that then of course do so.

2. Study something else as you want but try to choose something where you can start on an acceptable wage and/or build up some experience whilst maintaining your current job.

It will cost you a lot of money and time to do your HNC, and will be a lot harder because you have family commitments which require your finances and time, so choose something you are more certain you will like.....because you will need the motivation when the studies get tough. And remember your competition for entry level jobs will be lots of young graduates with degrees.....in the areas where you have some experience then you are better placed than they are but in the areas where you have no experience their degree will be worth a whole lot more than your HNC.....in most cases.

Best of luck.

Regards.

Edited: 10 November 2009 at 06:46 PM by westonpa
 12 January 2010 05:50 PM

neilymack

Hi All,
After reading this thread, and finding it of great help in my own choice of where to do the HNC, I was wondering if someone can explain to me the difference between A BTEC accredited course and an Edexcel? Reason I ask is I see that in an earlier post espana mentions that Blackburn College is BTEC accredited and having checked out COLU and Logis-tech I know they are edexcel.
Thanks in advance for any knowledge.
Keep the knowledge shared!
Neilymack
 12 January 2010 06:29 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: neilymack

Hi All,

After reading this thread, and finding it of great help in my own choice of where to do the HNC, I was wondering if someone can explain to me the difference between A BTEC accredited course and an Edexcel? Reason I ask is I see that in an earlier post espana mentions that Blackburn College is BTEC accredited and having checked out COLU and Logis-tech I know they are edexcel.

Thanks in advance for any knowledge.

Keep the knowledge shared!

Neilymack

BTEC is the qualification and Edexcel are the awarding body......even at Blackburn. Basically for BTEC read Edexcel.

With regards to Logis-tech they still offer the SQA accredited HNC so be careful what you study if you choose them.

Regards.
 26 January 2010 11:22 PM

Robs2073

Hi,

After looking at these threads wondering if someone could offer some advice?

I work within the electrical industry, although in a managerial role with a post grad educational status - management post grad, although technically aware I dont have a technical background. I've considered doing a HNC with COLU 'out of interest' with no aspiration to become an 'operational engineer or technician'.

Can anyone tell me if the work packs provided by COLU would be enough for someone to pass the TMA's without practical experience?

Cheers
 22 February 2010 08:36 PM

sterak

hi iam new to the forum iam a electrician and have completed the 2360 pt1 & 2, 17th edition regs 2391 inspection and testing and the 2400 design and verification. i want to progress further and have also been looking at the colu hnc electrical and electronic engineering i had sent them the application form and they have replied stating i should do the maths bridging course i wanted to know has any other people who started the course done the bridging course or is it a bit of a way to make more money as my friend also sent of to them and got the exact same letter , i got a B at maths GCSE.

thanks ste
 22 February 2010 10:01 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: sterak

hi iam new to the forum iam a electrician and have completed the 2360 pt1 & 2, 17th edition regs 2391 inspection and testing and the 2400 design and verification. i want to progress further and have also been looking at the colu hnc electrical and electronic engineering i had sent them the application form and they have replied stating i should do the maths bridging course i wanted to know has any other people who started the course done the bridging course or is it a bit of a way to make more money as my friend also sent of to them and got the exact same letter , i got a B at maths GCSE.

thanks ste

Of course they make some money out of the maths bridging module but A level, or equivalent, standard is required for the HNC in engineering and thus their suggestion to you. When I did a HNC with them some years ago they did not suggest it to me, for example, because I had the required level of maths.

Regards.
 05 September 2011 06:10 PM

wimsyads

[I]Hi,

After looking at these threads wondering if someone could offer some advice?

I work within the electrical industry, although in a managerial role with a post grad educational status - management post grad, although technically aware I dont have a technical background. I've considered doing a HNC with COLU 'out of interest' with no aspiration to become an 'operational engineer or technician'.

Can anyone tell me if the work packs provided by COLU would be enough for someone to pass the TMA's without practical experience?

Cheers

Robs 2073,

I couldnt help reading your thread and relating it back to my siutation, I currently manage projects in the electrical industry. I have a business degree and a project management certification but do not possess electrical technical knowledge.

I am currently considering a HNC or HND in electrical engineering and was wondering if you went ahead with the course and how you found it bearing in mind you do not have a technical background?

Thanks

Adam
 17 August 2013 07:59 AM

Meredith286

Hi All

I am currently working as a Maintenance Engineer, i have completed a BTEC ONC in Eectronic/Electrical Engineering and PEO NVQ Level 2 and Engineering Maintenace NVQ Level 3. I am 27 years old and now wanting to complete a HNC in Electrical Engineering by distance learning as we are a small firm and i cant be permitted day release to study this at the local college. I am wondering wether to go with teeside university or logis tech both are a similar price. Is anyone studying or studied at these by distance learning and how long would it take? i am currently working 3 on 3 off so would be able to allocate plenty of study time.

Thanks

Neil
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.