Topic Title: Any recommended HNC Electrical Engineering courses
Topic Summary:
Created On: 22 September 2006 10:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 22 September 2006 10:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

tomchubb

Can anyone recommend a distance learning HNC in Electrical Engineering?
When I started an HNC in Electrical and Electronic Engineering, I found it to be electronically biased and not of much use to me. I only completed the first year and I'm now looking at a course with Logis-Tech Associates. Their course options look very good, but I thought I'd ask here for any other suggestions?
Many thanks in advance.

Tom
 01 October 2006 06:16 PM

Eddycurrent

I'd recommend Cleveland Open Learning (COLU) I studied an Electrical and Instrumentation HNC with them and found them excellent. When I did it they were the same SQA based courses that Logis offer, although I think they now offer the Edexcel based english course.

link: http://www.colu.co.uk/

regards
Eddy
 18 May 2007 10:57 PM

deleted_Derekm73

Hi
I have just started doing my hnc electrical engineering with logis tech. The packages which you receive are very good and the selection of modules is good. If you are thinking of doing this, we could get something together regarding that you do half the modules and I do the other half and then we share answers. This would mean the course would be complete in half the time. I know a few people who have done this offshore and they said they completed their hnc within a year.Let me know if you are interested and we can sort something out.
Derek
 21 May 2007 08:53 AM

stephenf

Hi Derek

If you post away to contact you, I may be able to help

Regards

Stephen
 21 May 2007 09:30 AM

Marcus Daniel

COLU (linked to Teesside University) are excellent. I'm doing HNC Instrumentation at the moment, but they do electrical, mechanical and chemical as well. The courses are now BTEC Edexcel accredited.
 21 May 2007 01:13 PM

deleted_markthemariner

Hi Tom,

Most HNC's in Electrical/electronic Engineering are electronic biased for some reason. I did mine in my apprenticeship at my local college in Grimsby. As far as my job was concerned it wasn't really relevant as I was doing an electrical apprenticeship. I am now 34 and I can honestly say I never used any of what I was taught in my job apart from the heavy electrical stuff. I do think this goes for the majority of HNC's in this field. What I will say is that it is a very good qualification to have and can open up a lot of doors were jobs are concerned. I was thinking of doing an open learning one in instrumentation ( the dark side for electricians lol!) just to enhance my skills. I might try looking at the college and courses mentioned in the replys to your question.

Incidently the same applies for degree courses as well. I was looking to do a degree part time. I looked at loads of Uni's in my local area and found only two that did part time courses that might do. One was Hull that was fully electronic and the other was Sheffield Hallam that was Electrical/Electonic. I went to the open day in Sheffield because I was looking for more electrical because of my job. When the criteria for the degree was explained there wasn't one electrical bit in it!! And too be honest as much as would have loved to have done it (it would have been my only option anyway) the course would have been very boring because of its content. From what I have seen not mant colleges or uni's do dedicated electrical courses only. And when they do they seem to be full time not taking into account people with full time jobs and working in the industry and wanting to progress. So I am looking at another route to go down, one being IEng registered.

Anyway I wish you well fella, I'm sure the courses mentioned will be useful and well worth your time doing. Good luck.

Regards,

Mark.
 28 May 2007 05:19 PM

deleted_Desperatedamo

hello people,

Just read markthemariner's post, and it was just like looking in the mirror, my predicament exactly, what is it with the colleges and uni's these days?? I work full time, long hours, and just cant seem to progress to where i wanna go!!! I'd love to do full time study and still get paid 25k/year, not gonna happen is it? the local colleges in my area ( yorkshire ) are closing down the part time evening courses and transferring to day release so i will prob have to go down the distance learning route...Ive done the 16th ED/part P/installation 2330 courses and i'm now looking at the HNC route,so will definately research the more reputable options/open learning companies, anyway, apologies for the rant and thanks to the rest for the posts, it has helped,

Damion.
 31 May 2007 11:00 AM

garyfriends

Hi Marcus

How are you getting on with your course im also studying HNC with COLU,

Brgds

Gary
 01 June 2007 05:20 PM

deleted_Derekm73

Hello stephenf
If we could get something together regarding the hnc it would certainly speed up the process when it came to doing thos TMA's which take forever. Here are my details
Derek Morrison
5 Service Road
Forfar
DD8 3ER
Tel : 01307 460078
Mob : 07795480950

Email: derekm@tesco.net

Give me a shout it would be most appreciated.
Cheers
 23 June 2007 11:22 AM

deleted_mosstrooper

Hi guys just joined the forum im also interested in an HNC im from an installation background ,but would like to get more familiar with the instrumentation side of things could anyone make any suggestions as to my choice of hnc ,either electrical/electronic or electrical /instrumentation ?(im thinking about distance learning through COLU)
 23 June 2007 12:10 PM

elector

Hi Derek,

I've sent you a private message !
 28 June 2007 09:40 PM

deleted_craigf

hi guys, i notice a few of you are doing the hnc course with logis tech, i am also doing this course, i struggled to find the enthusiasm to get the fundamentals of quality assurance done(what a boring subject) but got there in the end, i have just started the first part of the electrical stuff (three phase networks etc) i have been out of education a good few years now but do work as an engineering technician, i am finding it hard to get back into the learning thing and struggling to say the least on vector and phasor diagrams so if anyone can help out with stuff relating to this course then it would be appreciated.
 02 July 2007 03:02 AM

deleted_copacabana

Craig F.

I am considering applying for this course but find myself questioning my enthusiasm!

Are you confident that you will se the course through to the end or could you see yourself throwing in the towel if you struggle to find the enthusiasm and/or motivation.

Out of interest how long did it take you to complete the first module?

Also if you dont mind me asking, did you consider using COLU for the course and if so what made you choose Logis - Tech? I,m just wondering if one is better than the other.

Cheers
 06 July 2007 04:48 PM

deleted_craigf

I will definately see the course through to the end, but quality assurance wasn't the best subject to start with, the course itself is done through COLU with university of teesside by way of logis-tech it's just at the end of it you get an SQA cert which is the scottish authority.
 06 July 2007 04:50 PM

deleted_craigf

With me working full time, and in the summer most weekends as well, on and off it took me 10 months!! But as I said I found it a very boring subject to start with so finding time and motivation was difficult.
 20 July 2007 11:59 PM

Gary6571

Just started doing my HNC through COLU and any support from any of you guys out there would be appreciated. I find the course work pretty good but with working full time and a young family find motivation can be difficult (I've had a TMA for 3 weeks now and not even looked at it yet!!). Would be nice to talk to fellow students and see how they cope with the demands of work, family and student life!! 1st subject that I've started is Engineering Science, certainly helps blow the cobwebs off the old grey matter!!!
 18 August 2007 09:27 PM

stev1972

Hi everyone.

I am half way through a HNC in electrical/mechanical engineering with COLU. If anyone wishes to share information on any units (especially programmable controllers) give me an email

stev1972.crx@sky.com
 29 July 2009 05:19 PM

PS3

Im looking to start an HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering at COLU. This seems like the easiest way for me to do the work I work everyday. Im an electrician now, been fully qulified for a few years but was wondering what direction this would take me, i.e what sort of positions I could apply for and also is it hard. Meaning would I need to put myself away every night and do a few hours graft and basically dedicate my life for 3 years to the cause. I didnt do my testing and inspection 2390 as struggled a bit with understanding, is this along them lines?
 29 July 2009 06:39 PM

westonpa

Originally posted by: PS3

Im looking to start an HNC in Electrical & Electronic Engineering at COLU. This seems like the easiest way for me to do the work I work everyday. Im an electrician now, been fully qulified for a few years but was wondering what direction this would take me, i.e what sort of positions I could apply for and also is it hard. Meaning would I need to put myself away every night and do a few hours graft and basically dedicate my life for 3 years to the cause. I didnt do my testing and inspection 2390 as struggled a bit with understanding, is this along them lines?

Rather than ask what positions the HNC could take you to it would be better to decide what you want for the future and then do the qualifications required for it because you may then decide to do other/different qualifications. People with HNC generally go onto 'technician' positions and/or supervisory/managerial positions. Hard or easy to do is different for each person but normally people find the mathematical related modules to be the toughest. You may be required to do the maths bridging module depending on your current qualifications and I would suggest that if you get on ok with the bridging module you would then get on ok with the rest of the course providing you make the effort.

Distance learning requires good self motivation and organisation and the amount of study time required depends on how you well you learn and understand the subject matter. However I think you would need to set aside an average 7 hours per week for study over the 3 years and more or less than 7 hours will depend on how you get on. If you choose some of the optional modules that relate to your electrician experience then you should be able to complete them relatively quickly.

Regards.
 10 November 2009 05:27 PM

Spency205

Hi everyone,

I have read with interest all the posts in this subject as i am looking for a career change into the electrical field.

I have no electrical background other than interest, although i am a technically minded person, have a radio amatuers licence etc so am familiar with electrics and electronics to a certain extent. I would like to break into the offshore or renewables industry, possibly as an electrical technician, but would do whatever job was necessary to get a start.

Distance learning isn't a problem for me, i had to do professional exams in my current job so am well used to it!

I am 31 years old, married and a young family so the apprenticeship route isn't really an option for me, i just coudn't take the pay cut required to do it. I am considering the HNC electrical route as mentioned in this forum. Has anyone on here got offshore experience and if so, is it possible for me to get an electrical position offshore with the HNC electrical ? Obviously i would have to do all the RGIT survival etc also. Any advice would be much appreciated.
Statistics

See Also:

FuseTalk Standard Edition v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.